Fresh build, smoke, stumped

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Alright I think I'm getting somewhere.

I popped each injector line loose while it was running, see which one cleared out the smoke.

#4 is suspect. Matter of fact I can rev it up all the way with waaaaayyyyy less smoke than I was previously.

Juuuuust for peace of mind, I dusted off my compression gauge.

I think its good

You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Also, to add, when I busted each line loose, each line did a nice clean spritz outwards, except for #4, it kind of just dribbled.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be calling Justin in the morning and see what he wants to do about it.
My problem is I need my truck asap to make sure everything is good before I go driving out of state with my camper on it.

I really appreciate everyone's help, means a lot to me

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Justin, he said send the pump and injectors back in.
He did say that he was having someone else build pumps and injectors at the time mine were done, and that particular individual doesn't work there anymore for....reasons.

But he started speculating, there's probably an issue with the delivery port on the pump head, so he's going to tear into it and see what's going on. I did mention how when I cut 4 out the smoke clears, and how I have good compression.

Also, I had mentioned that @Lumberjackchuck was having a similar issue with your injectors, he said to let you know feel free to send them in he'll fix them too.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad he is taking care of you.
I was going to say its almost like something is blocking #4. Either in the line or in the pump itself. My bet is the pump. just not building the pressure it needs for whatever reason.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Glad he is taking care of you.
I was going to say its almost like something is blocking #4. Either in the line or in the pump itself. My bet is the pump. just not building the pressure it needs for whatever reason.
That's exactly what I was thinking too.
To verify it wasn't the line, I even loosened the line at the pump, and barely got a dribble out of it still.

When I pull the pump I'll blow air through all lines too, just for peace of mind.

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear your having such a hard time with this. If it’s any help reading through this is helping me diagnose the many issues with my shut box. Lol. At least there’s that.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I got the pump off, didnt see anything visually wrong with it, but turning the pump by hand, to me it sounds a lot more clicky than I'm used to hearing. For reference I sent 3 good cores to Justin and the stipulation for core credit was they all had to turn over by hand with ease, and they were significantly quieter.

I also blew air through all 8 fuel lines, they were all good.

Injectors and pump are boxed up ready to ship. Gonna have to eat the cost of overnight shipping because I really need this on the road soon.

Ohiogoldfever

Reaction score
I got the pump off, didnt see anything visually wrong with it, but turning the pump by hand, to me it sounds a lot more clicky than I'm used to hearing. For reference I sent 3 good cores to Justin and the stipulation for core credit was they all had to turn over by hand with ease, and they were significantly quieter.

I also blew air through all 8 fuel lines, they were all good.

Injectors and pump are boxed up ready to ship. Gonna have to eat the cost of overnight shipping because I really need this on the road soon.

In my life things of this nature only happen when the deadline is tight. If it’s just a project truck the parts are rearly an issue. I hope he can get them situated and back to you quick.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well got off the phone with Justin not long ago, he tested the injectors and confirmed one was stuck wide open. He took it apart and cleaned it, also found all the other injectors the pop off pressure was set too low. Injectors are all good now.

He also inspected the pump, and found nothing wrong with it. As a courtesy he replaced the distributor head and verified everything on a stand too. They are both en route back to me now.

We were discussing what could have caused the smoke at engine speed, and the conclusion we both came to at the moment was running a brand new pump with old injectors. At idle, even a modified pump has the same fuel cc flow as a stock pump, all the cc increase does is raise the peak fuel supply.

So when I get all the pieces I'll put it back together and try again, I'll update the results then.

Edit, I did ask what the fuel pressure spec was, and he said 6psi. I said mine was 5 and he said that was okay, the range is 4-7psi for service.

Last edited: