I FAILED emissions...horribly

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In UT the opacity limit (Visible particulate matter, black smoke) for Diesels is 20%

I have the safety/IM test slips for the Truck all the way back to 1997. They indicate that the Truck has NEVER blown past 6.9% This was last year as the pump and injectors were begining to fail.

January of this year I outfitted the Ford with a Moose pump and matched BB's and a new return line kit.

Today the Ford smoked out the testing facility at a staggering 33% and 34% opacity level.

I was sickened and embarassed. I was told to re-test at a latter time. That time was an hour later.

I removed the air filter (NAPA gold with Foam pre-filter) and adjusted the wastegate for 15psi. The air filter was showing signs of wear/dirt but was still measuring GREEN on the differential pressure indicator.

Once I removed the airfilter and adjusted the wastegate I barely squeaked by at 19.8%. Yup 19.8 with 20% being the limit.The tester was a **** and snidely stated; "unplugged your chip huh?":rolleyes:

I have not had the Truck timed with a meter but would it be THAT drastic of a difference?

I was running #1 Chevron Diesel with a heavy dose of Diesel Kleen (50oz) in hopes of boosting cetane to help with emissions.

I have many questions to prevent this from occuring next year.

Can I turn down the Moose pump? I've read this affects the internal timing curve of the custom pump.

I do not see a need to purchase a Smoke Puff limiter until all mechanical aspects have been addressed.

I am very curious about timing.

Also, after installing the new Moose and BB's, the Truck began to run rough after it's first 800mi trip towing 10k. I attributed this to the BB's seating and advanced the timing a bit to smooth it out. It has also begun to have minor symptoms of heat soak/hot starting issues.

Mel, I was going to PM you but hoped this would be valuable info for all.

FTR: I knew what I was getting when I ordered the Moose pump: great service and a nicely built pump able to move some fuel. I have no regrets and cannot say enough about Mel's customer service. This is the first negative I have encountered.

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do they test? Hammering the throttle?

Yes, It's put on the dyno and they hold it at 50 mph and take a reading, then they stomp the **** out of it twice and take a reading.

I have mastered the Moose in town by keeping my foot out of it so it doesn't smoke until boost is available but this test doesn't exactly baby it.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought here as i know nothing about emissions testing sense Indiana doesn't do that. Could you just rig up something to pump a bunch of air into the exhaust to in a sense dilute the smoke? I remember my old Chevy gasser had a manifold connected to the exhaust manifold that was there solely to pump air into the exhaust. Just a thought I'm throwing out there.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought here as i know nothing about emissions testing sense Indiana doesn't do that. Could you just rig up something to pump a bunch of air into the exhaust to in a sense dilute the smoke? I remember my old Chevy gasser had a manifold connected to the exhaust manifold that was there solely to pump air into the exhaust. Just a thought I'm throwing out there.

Like a Turbo?

No, the idea is not to mask the problem but fix it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
How about a throttle stop so it will not go to full throttle for their test. then adjust accordingly when you leave:sly

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like a Turbo?

No, the idea is not to mask the problem but fix it.

No not a turbo. An air pump, its a pump that does nothing but pump clean air into the exhaust. A lot of old gassers had them.

I suppose i can help more with masking it than fixing it LOL

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a throttle stop so it will not go to full throttle for their test. then adjust accordingly when you leave:sly

That is a good idea, one that I had considered as long as I could still get the Turbo to light.

I am really wondering about the condition of my injectors, they may not tolerate 2700-2800 rpm for hours at a time.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In NJ any diesel that has a GVWR of less than 18K does not have to have a smoke opacity check. For those vehicles that do they will not test the truck if it is less than 40 degrees Fahrenheit out. When they do the test on the trucks that require it they have a probe in the oil to measure the temp and the truck has to be at it's operating temperature. After everything is hooked up they snap the throttle three times and the test is done. Their is no dyno at 50Mph here.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In NJ any diesel that has a GVWR of less than 18K does not have to have a smoke opacity check. For those vehicles that do they will not test the truck if it is less than 40 degrees Fahrenheit out. When they do the test on the trucks that require it they have a probe in the oil to measure the temp and the truck has to be at it's operating temperature. After everything is hooked up they snap the throttle three times and the test is done. Their is no dyno at 50Mph here.
from what I see ID, CO, UT does test on 10k gvw and under..
kali is ramping up a system but is approaching it slowly. '99 and newer is getting a visual and snap test. '98 and older is "currently" being ignored but don't hold your breath.
looks like UT is the roughest.
i'm thinking fuel flow restricter:D
you can't put out soot if there's no fuel:D

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
They must be tougher on the newer trucks. When I tested the 86, I had an opacity limit of 55% and blew a 25.8%. You had the truck nice and hot right?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
un pluged the chip?:rotflmao:rotflmao

That's about as bad as the prosecutor who at first did not want to remove the charge of my truck not being inspected. After showing him in the shop manual by the breakdown of the serial number to show that my E350 does in fact have a diesel, he questioned me "Since when did Ford start putting a diesel engine in a van" of which I replied back around 1985,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online