I FAILED emissions...horribly

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He asked if timing would make a difference on blowing smoke.

Absolutly it will. Just try retarding the timing and see the smoke bellow out the back. I don't care what pump you have on an IDI. The timing of the pump and injectors are the most important parts of this engine for efficient/smokeless operation. Yeah I know the emission standards have increased considerably since the year these were built, but they did pass the Fed standards then.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does everyone feel the optimum timing is for low smoke?

I have it timed to 9.5* and it smokes a ton more than it did at 7*

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When You said that You adjusted the wastegate to 15 psi, was that up, or down from the first test? I'd think You'd need all the boost you can get with a moose pump/emmission test

I adjusted it up, I usually run around 12psi daily driving. When towing it will hit 20 if I let it. I have never plugged the waste gate to see how high it will go, I am too worried about my headgaskets. :)

A smoke puff limiter would fix the problem but I think I can correct this for less than 3 bills.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I have mine set a 5.5 degrees. It would be tough to get a puff over 30% out of my truck; the pump is maxed out. (Not a Moose though)

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished timing the Truck to 5.5* and power is slightly down but so is the smoke. I feel much better about going in for the test this month. I am tempted to not use any other tricks like pulling the air filter or locking out OD, but I'm not about to give the ******* ANY satisfaction of failing me.

The smoke is still thick and black on the initial crack of the throttle but cleans up immediately even before the turbo lights. WOT on the freeway produces a grayish haze.

8* actually felt really good. I will probably set it there after the test. I'm also interested in the condition of my matched BB's after a years worth of use.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I didn't have time to read the entire thread so I appologize in advance if this has already been mentioned; but how about running a biodiesel/diesel blend for the test? You won't have to do any fuel system mods if you are using a blend and using it just for the test. So that along with your timing set back a bit and with a throttle stop and the air filter removed, you should be golden!!

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...I made an appointment and had the emissions test performed on the Truck with the timing @ 5.5* and the air filter removed and OD disabled. The F350 cranked out a 13 out of 20! I was super pumped and then promptly installed the filter and advanced the timing back to 8*.
Thanks to all who helped!

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I dont advocate these tests, but i do question the effectiveness if one can simply modify there vehicle to pass the test and then change it back to how it was before the test. It seems like a HUGE waste of time and money for the owner of the vehicle(s) and the state.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a Hypermax Smoke puff limiter.

I hope it works as advertised and allows me to easily adjust the fuel for testing. From what I've read, I should be able to limit fuel to a trickle and produce NO smoke under any condition. Is that right?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you throw in a couple of gallons of kerro or some other kind of cleaner burning fuel???
Or do they test the fuel before the emissions test???
Just for my own FYI.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a Hypermax Smoke puff limiter.

I hope it works as advertised and allows me to easily adjust the fuel for testing. From what I've read, I should be able to limit fuel to a trickle and produce NO smoke under any condition. Is that right?

I sell the smoke puff limiter, and the answer is "maybe". It depends on the calibration of your pump. The smoke puff limiter is just an aneroid that blocks the movement of the governor rack dependent on boost pressure to overcome a spring. However, I'm sure it will definitely help pass any kind of throttle mash test.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sell the smoke puff limiter, and the answer is "maybe". It depends on the calibration of your pump. The smoke puff limiter is just an aneroid that blocks the movement of the governor rack dependent on boost pressure to overcome a spring. However, I'm sure it will definitely help pass any kind of throttle mash test.

I tried to order one from you via pm but they were full. I hope this helps, it is a bit of cash to lay out if it doesn't.

I used K1 last year but I'm tired of stressing about it and playing their game. This should also help with top end egt's while towing and allow me to pay slightly less attention to the pyro.

No, they do not sample the fuel.

FWIW, the calibration of the pump is whatever left Moose labs. I have not touched any settings aside from timing it.

This year was an absolute **** show, blowing a 64% out of 20%.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You guys, dont forget the obvious when getting tested. Change your oil and filter right before going in. Thinned out motor oil will allow way more blowby and oil to find its way past rings and guideswhich will make excessive smoke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online