Hydroboost noise

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I just installed a used hydroboost set up in my truck, as well as a new steering box.

I now have a constant "whirl/whine" that I can hear in the cab, and it increases with RPMS.

It doesnt make any more or less noise when I turn, and Its not noticeable from outside the cab.

The hydroboost did have the thin rubber pad on the back, and I ran all new Mercon V fluid and flushed the lines throughout the system, and have a magnet style filter on the return line to the PS pump

Is this common noise to hear? or do I have a worn HB set up?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I'm hoping a fluid flush helps but if you're having the problem maybe not.

I don't have this issue in my Chevy with hydroboost so I've been wondering if the higher flow/pressure from the Saginaw pump is making a difference.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I'm hoping a fluid flush helps but if you're having the problem maybe not.

I don't have this issue in my Chevy with hydroboost so I've been wondering if the higher flow/pressure from the Saginaw pump is making a difference.

Might be the same. The cold makes it worse, it gets a little better when it warms up, how about yours same?

Wish towcat was still around :( He had many of HB set up trucks

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are still using the ford C2 pump, get rid of the Mercon fluid and use Type F. It's slightly thicker and quiets the pump down quite a bit.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air, hi pressure fitting on the pump, try the fluid mentioned above

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Ohhh ok, ya I’m running what ever pump comes factory on the 94 idiT

Great, I just got all the fluid cleaned up from the last flush and fill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had noise like that, steering didn’t make much of a difference but pushing the brake made it louder, I ended up having to get a hose from ps pump to hb unit that had more rubber hose then metal. I tried a russel braided line and that didn’t help and hydraulic hose made it way worse.

Make sure none of the lines on the hb are touching the firewall or resting against the hb unit. Same goes for the rubber return line.

On the superduty trucks ford had a recall for a hissing noise from the hb unit and the update was a different line from the hb to gear box that is more rubber hose then steel, so I believe from my experience that the lines can couple noise to the firewall through the hb unit. Something to check.