Reaction score
Possible
Back when I did mine they were nla...
Hmmm
Time to research.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered something similar when I did my hydroboost . I wasnt sure at the time if it would work but I figured I would just return it if not. Bolted right on and its the same dual port reservoir as the SD one. Makes sense since trucks of that year range come with hydroboost .

Ruffnek7tree

Reaction score
Just the line between the hb and the box is warm? Sounds like that is the area of restriction..

I'd pull that line off, start it up and see what comes out.. sounds like something is blocked off.. those pressure lines are small on the inside, and a little dirt or other crap can wreak havoc.. I chased my tail for quite a while with a different issue on my 01, ended up being a little clump of dirt

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BooHiss

Once upon A time in America. We had
Go NoGo
Now if it fits it ships

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red heads are usually pretty good units. Very interesting that the gear gains operation after replacing the hydroboost, as apart from the fluid flowing through it, the two operate unrelated to one another.

Do you lose brake assist after 30 seconds too? Or just steering? Be sure to pump the pedal a few times to depressurize the accumulator and remove that from the equation. I've resealed a few of these units before, and I don't think there is anything in the booster to keep fluid from flowing to the gear, unless you have debris in the system that's getting caught in the passage of the booster or the spool valve, the steering gear should still receive full flow/pressure. You can remove the hose between the pump and gear and test that if you want.

These systems are sensitive to fluid used and aeration. After trying and failing to run a cummins unit on atf+4, I only use power steering fluid in them. I've also had to use a vacuum pump on some of them while bleeding too. But those were newer cars not trucks.

They don't want you teeing the return because the hydroboost unit is sensitive to return pressure and the brakes can drag if there is return pressure present.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red heads are usually pretty good units. Very interesting that the gear gains operation after replacing the hydroboost, as apart from the fluid flowing through it, the two operate unrelated to one another.

Do you lose brake assist after 30 seconds too? Or just steering? Be sure to pump the pedal a few times to depressurize the accumulator and remove that from the equation. I've resealed a few of these units before, and I don't think there is anything in the booster to keep fluid from flowing to the gear, unless you have debris in the system that's getting caught in the passage of the booster or the spool valve, the steering gear should still receive full flow/pressure. You can remove the hose between the pump and gear and test that if you want.

These systems are sensitive to fluid used and aeration. After trying and failing to run a cummins unit on atf+4, I only use power steering fluid in them. I've also had to use a vacuum pump on some of them while bleeding too. But those were newer cars not trucks.

They don't want you teeing the return because the hydroboost unit is sensitive to return pressure and the brakes can drag if there is return pressure present.
Thanks, nothing is teed and it’s running the correct spec mercon. I was on the phone with redhead yesterday. The main symptoms are once the fluid warms up in 10 min or so the power steering is lost. That’s what creates a false flag when I swapped the hydros and the pumps.

I pulled the high pressure lines before and after the red head and the fluid is flowing. I pulled return off hydro and it’s behaving properly. Sometimes red head uses a check valve sometimes they don’t and there’s no spring check valve in this one.

Red head says send it back they think something may be wrong internal.

Before I send it back my head is similar to your closing comment to test two things, first, I want to swap the hydro return to a 3/8 line because it’s used a slightly smaller line currently. Second, I have the factory f350 ps cooler on the truck. F super duty’s use a different 3/8 style. I wonder if when it heats up I’m getting return system pressure which is throwing things out of wack.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they're saying send it back, I'm assuming they also feel the issue is on their end. Gears can be funky and tempermental, especially the valves inside of them. I'm wondering if something was pushed into it. You said you've put on a new booster, is this a completely new swap or something that popped up on a working system?

I'd be surprised if your fluid is getting too hot for it too work, that's more then likely just a result of what's failed and not the cause. I've seen fluid get boiling hot before and the system still function. More then likely something is wrong in the gear box, which is causing too much pressure in the system and your hot fluid/pressure hose.

I've never seen a gear box have issues with return pressure, just the hydrobooster. But that's not saying it's impossible either.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they're saying send it back, I'm assuming they also feel the issue is on their end. Gears can be funky and tempermental, especially the valves inside of them. I'm wondering if something was pushed into it. You said you've put on a new booster, is this a completely new swap or something that popped up on a working system?

I'd be surprised if your fluid is getting too hot for it too work, that's more then likely just a result of what's failed and not the cause. I've seen fluid get boiling hot before and the system still function. More then likely something is wrong in the gear box, which is causing too much pressure in the system and your hot fluid/pressure hose.

I've never seen a gear box have issues with return pressure, just the hydrobooster. But that's not saying it's impossible either.

Hydrboost 1 was from a parts truck and hydroboost 2 was reman new

Yeah they think a valve is wonky but you know timing and such I’m trying any possibility before pulling it off and shipping it back and forth across the country

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is resolved. I swapped the steering box to a rebuilt super duty box, bled it, and no issue. I’m not blaming red head without proof, let’s call this air locked until noted otherwise. I’m going to use the red head on my bronco, I’ll ship the box to them to review during that build.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got this resolved. I was really curious what ultimately was causing the issue. Thanks for keeping us posted

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is resolved. I swapped the steering box to a rebuilt super duty box, bled it, and no issue. I’m not blaming red head without proof, let’s call this air locked until noted otherwise. I’m going to use the red head on my bronco, I’ll ship the box to them to review during that build.
Resolved follow-up. Although it was working fine, it was still subpar IMO. I wasn’t satisfied that it was worse than vacuum assist brakes. I got thinking and looked up the pumps a F450/F550 powerstroke would use. Ordered part number EDD 6014R.

Swapped the 6014 on, quick bleed, now we are good. Previously I was putting F Super Res’s onto F350 pumps. If you aren’t happy with your hydroboost - something to think about. I believe it’s same pump, different spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7