how to go on with my E4OD

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand a little about your part of Europe. I lived in Spain for almost 3 years in the early 70's. And been in the North for 37 years. I just did a search on external torx for BMW and Mercedes cars and they use them. So maybe you could tell it is for your Ford Beemer .

Ok, but here where I live we hardly see a Merc. or a beemer, if we see them, they are paris registered, here it's all peugeot, renault, citroën and all of the tractors. if It's rush hour, I see the 1,5 tractor passing in front of my house :))

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stop the next AGCO tractor driver and ask him where he gets tools to repair his tractor. They use Torx fasteners.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ford is good about mixing fasteners. Dad had a 97 Ford Contour. Being in the rust belt one of the rear brake lines rusted through. He took it to his trusted shop to get it replaced. To get to the line, most of the rear suspension had to come out. When he picked it up, his mechanic told him that from the center line out on one side was all metric fasteners and the other side was all SAE......so both sets of tools to pull it apart.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How could old Henry have foreseen this????
conveyer belt work would have sped up by means of standardisation, not by picking up whatever fastener fell to the ground to fasten whatever part on whatever they are producing there!???

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the old driveshafts they were regular hex head bolts but because of the u joint and angle they had to have small heads for the socket to fit, they often rounded out because they were such small fasteners. By switching to a torx it allowed them to use a larger footprint fastener without having interference issues with the tool, so there’s a reason why that particular part is there.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones on the rear the bolt is female torx, so needs a make torx socket.

The ones on (my) front shaft are male 12pt bolts so a 12pt wrench or socket works.

Home supply and hardware stores may carry the jack knife style torx multi tool if no auto parts stores for the sockets or something similar to these?
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately those flip style ones and the hardware store packs don't have the right size.. tried that when I forgot my master set working on mine one day. I had a 79 Jeep so I bought a set from the Mac dealer..

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the "torx" like bolt for the rear u-joint is actually a normal 12-point socket. I think it is a 3/8"?

12 point on a male bolt head would probably work, but torx is a female bolt head.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
female T45 (6 point)

also all(4) 9/16th nuts that hold the Torque converter to the flexplate were round, somebody screwed them. anyone an Idea where to get them? 9/16th with a flat collar and self braking.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Volkswagen began using triple square male and female bolts right when I left. Always an excuse to get on the snap on truck haha

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More news, I got the beast separated! Though I need 4 nuts to connect the torque converter to the flexplate, and the small orange "O" ring which is on the shaft in the picture. who o who can help me with that???

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
female T45 (6 point)

also all(4) 9/16th nuts that hold the Torque converter to the flexplate were round, somebody screwed them. anyone an Idea where to get them? 9/16th with a flat collar and self braking.

Just do a search online and you'll find plenty of them. They are metric and are a special type that squeeze the thread when you tighten them so don't just buy any old nuts and throw them on. I believe they are called bowma grip type...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you were in the U.S., I'd say that you could probably still buy them from Ford too, but since you're not, I don't know about that option. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask at a dealership.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I got the trans ready to go back in again, changed the seal, made sure the bushing didn't wander, all that is ok! tomorrow a mate comes over and together we try to lift the thing in. see how that goes!

one more odd thing, I can't get the starter motor out there, not with the trans in place, and not when the trans is out! physically impossible????!!!

does someone has some advise here?