How much would it cost to build my dream idi

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
I made my first post awhile back and i read on here at least 6 hr's a week since February. I've got an 89 f-250 4x4 5sp 7.3 reg cab long bed
Next spring i'm thinking about building it into my dream truck once i have full amount i'll need. I'll start with a series of question's i'd like answered since i'll start hoarding parts soon this first one is most important I will be hauling 30ft gooseneck trailer with backhoe tractors other trucks van pulling cars or trucks out of dirt where they've been sitting will an rebuilt idi with a tubo do this and last or for the power deparement would i be better off to build up an power stroke and install ???
if i did build idi here's what i'm thinkin
tubo for sure waste gate for non waste gate?
intercooler i've been reading alot about but no idea what it really does
93 or 94 rods
full motor rebuild and port and polish new valves hold 9 yards large oil pan custom aluminum air intake
new clutch and probly and transmission and transfer case rebuild every bearing new new rims and tires
moose pump i hear it's like the best ?
keep hearing some thing about 97 power stroke front end ?? what does it do that's so good ??
new glow plugs moto craft i think ?
2.5 inch lift
new paint same color scheme tho
Should i keep my 88 clip or put a 92 and newer front end on ???
custom bumpers lights
sound system for white people
f-150 leather seats out of 2002 model with fold down
i think i'm on right track over all if you guys had to do it again idi or powerstroke for the hard work i'll be doing ???

how much do you think i'm in for a full rebuild of my truck front to back new paint rebuild motor bearings seals fluids shocks lift custom bumpers lights longer lasting battery's right now i'm guessing $12,000 i want the best for my money this truck will be with me for a long time and i'll be using it alot so i want to try to avoid all down time that i can.
how much do you think ?
thanks alot for any info or questions you can answer
Link farms

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
that's why i'm really tossing idea around of installing a powestroke in for the added power more mods and probly quicker and overall will be easier to find parts for in future

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are a die-hard V8 diesel type, I would put a 12 valve Cummins in it. Much easier to swap than the Stroke, but retains the mechanical injected simplicity of the IDI. Not to mention ass loads of torque for towing that big trailer you speak of. Since you are rippin' and tearin' on the whole truck, no reason not to do it.
Travis..

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, How is the cummins swap easier then the PS?
with the cummins you have to make motor mounts, get an adapter plate and change the flywheel or torque converter as well as who knows how many little snags you run into along the way.

With the Powerstroke would it not bolt right in?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Just curious, How is the cummins swap easier then the PS?
with the cummins you have to make motor mounts, get an adapter plate and change the flywheel or torque converter as well as who knows how many little snags you run into along the way.

With the Powerstroke would it not bolt right in?

Cummins is mechanical (at least the 12 valves), Powerstroke is computer controlled. but what about a straight six IH, I think it was a IO360, wet sleeved, about 1000 to rebuild... but those aren't easy to find.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerchoke is electronic control....lots of new wiring to introduce
12v cummins can be had all mechaniclal, and I believe there are bolt in kits on the market.

from that side it is which intimidates you more...electrical or mechanical work

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would of thought that the wiring would be pretty simple if you could just buy a factory harness.
Wiring in general scares the **** out of me so I guess that answers my own question.

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 94-97 Powerstroke front end has the holes in the bumper for added cooling. an intercooler cools the intake charge, which is beneficial under under load and high boost conditions. Some members here have cut two rectangular holes in their front bumper for added cooling, which on trucks of your vintage helps, because the intercooler fits in front of the lower half of the radiator. With a turbo'd and properly tuned 7.3,you would be happy with the output. A Powerstroke can easily make more power, either one will last though.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I would of thought that the wiring would be pretty simple if you could just buy a factory harness.
Wiring in general scares the **** out of me so I guess that answers my own question.

You would need the ENTIRE wiring loom from a stroke, that means engine and cab swap out, with gauges. May as well start with a stroke and go from there. The Cummins will only need mounts and basic wiring changes.

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
there's supposedly a big junk yard in Danville,IL about 30 miles away my friend counted 7 diesel's there 3 weeks ago at least 2 were strokes other's he thinks were idi's so i could pick up a complete truck then swap over to mine. My goal is to keep this truck and redo it since i really like this truck and a freind of mine had it so it means that much more to me. I wanna go from ground up so i know every inch of it and replace everything till it's like new
As far as parts there's a ton of trucks i know of around here and i've been parting some of them out so i can find alot of stuff.
For wiring one of my friends is an asc? mechanic and he can fix anything from a mower to a tri-axle semi
so would a powerstoke motor it's self bolt right in with the same motor mounts??

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most important I will be hauling 30ft gooseneck trailer with backhoe tractors other trucks van pulling cars or trucks out of dirt where they've been sitting will an rebuilt idi with a tubo do this and last or for the power deparement would i be better off to build up an power stroke and install ???

Here's my reasoning, this question right here screams mechanical 12 valve to me. If you are going through all of the trouble to basically rebuild the whole truck, in the grand scheme it isn't that much more work.
Travis..

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
WOW. for all the die hard idi guys on here, not ONE person suggested to keep the idi :rotflmao And to the OP i think you would have closer to 24k in the truck rebuild

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Cummins for sure.
I have done the tuned IDI thing and the IDI thing has cost me LOTS of $$$$ and many long nights.
I gave up on the IDI in the S-1600 after two wrist pin failures within a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online