How much would it cost to build my dream idi

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
30' Gooseneck, Hey, leave me outta this.:eek::backoff :rotflmaoSeriously though, What size backhoe and what kind of gross weight are you looking at? I occasionally tow a Ford 555 4x4 on a 9 ton tag behing the Logger and have to start out in low range when on an incline.cookoo My combined gross wt is about 28,000lbs. I do it but know the whole time I'm taking a chance. Have you thought about just making a nice IDI and getting an f650 to go beside it?

If you really have a soft spot for this truck, shouldn't the IDI stay? Check out RLDSL and look at his truck in his signature. That brownie is what is needed to break that kind of weight out of the hole when towing, and you get a double od also.:sly You won't get neck snapping power but IDI's can hang in there when it comes to working a truck. For the price of a used Cummins or PSD you can have your IDI running strong and have the Brownie. The extra time you save can be put to a Dana 60 for the front end.

If you are serious about making an over acheiving truck, stuff a DT466 under the hood and f550 gear under the springs, then you can pull backhoes.LOL;Sweet

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
Im looking at a case 580k thats needs work because id like to redo it also lol. Ill be hauling round and square bails also got a 18ft tri axle dump trailer ill haul. I do still really like the idea of the 7.3 idi rebuild install a moose pump manual glow plug setup a turbo ,but i just wanna be sure itll hold up .i really dont like to run the **** out of my stuff besides my race bike. Any one got a video of an idi with a load behind it??
I read online all day and this has my head hurting what is this gear vendors thing?? Like a 2 speed axle right now at 55mph 2,000rpm id like to lower that to like atleast 1800 but keep my 4:10 gears ... You guys are great for info
thanks linkfarms

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Gearvendors overdrive is a 2 speed auto that goes behind your current transmission (or transfercase in your case).

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So id be able yo keep my 5 sp ?

Yes, it is an add on overdrive. If you want "ultimate", I'd seriously look at something else. I have 2 big beefs with the GV. 1-you can't use it until you are going min of 20 mph due to the way it works. 2-If you compression brake with it engaged you will smoke it. I would prefer something that you can use from a stand-still, and also be able to compression brake down a hill in a decent gear instead of too low or too high. US Gear, Brownie, or any manually shifted divorced style would be suitable.
Travis..

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The Brownie is a three speed unit. It has a 2:1 low, 1:1 intermediate, and a .86 overdrive. According to RLDSL, the shifting goes like this:

Aux low, main trans 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Aux mid, main 2nd, 2nd over

3rd, 3rd over

4th, 4th over

5th, 5th over

Basically you get a 13 speed with all forward progressions. You will also get the double od in 5th over, dropping your rpms a bit as you said you're looking for. Try starting out in low range and imagine having that without the worries of clashing the transfer case back into high range. And then you have an extra gear between every one you already have.

That 580 will tax any ordinary f250 or 350. Air bags and good electric trailer brakes will be a must for you. I can't wait to see how a brownie eases the heavy towing duties I perform.

psychohawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, sell your truck, take the $2k or $3k you get for it, add it to the $12k you optimistically hope to spend on your rebuild (prolly closer to $30k though), and go buy yourself as much and as new a truck you can with cash.

Unless of course: you have another means of transportation, you're financially set for life, your house is paid for, you have no debt, you're bored and you have nothing else to do for the next six months ... then yeah, go for it! :rotflmao

Carl

tnmtn

Reaction score
i have towed a Bobcat B300 tlb with my 7.3. it does fine if i can stay in the lower gears but once i break around forty the east tn. hills win. it will go up them but very slowly. also i am relying heavily on the trailer brakes coming down mountains which lessens the warm fuzzy feeling more. the 580 case is a much heavier tlb and i think you should go to a larger truck for towing it and have your idi for daily driving. even with a newer engine with more power and torque that is a load. you can get 650-6500 series trucks for nothing these days that could be a better project truck for the heavy towing.
good luck,

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
Well i have no debt no house payment and not alot to do in the colder months im thinking i might have to look for a larger truck to load backhoe and large items......i got an lmc catolog in the mail so i can start pricing stuff out

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
ummmmm..... in response to the title and OP.....

it's gonna cost a lot more than $3500 for a good ol' Deuce and a half around here LOL

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
I can track down 2 or 3 tandem am genetal trucks my family used for logging years ago they just need paint last time i saw them they went cheap ive saw a few duecus around here for about same prices you had listed

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
No no i got lost on how a duece came into the thread if i wanted one the 3 that used to be in my family are just sittig in a feild but i dont really need one real bad its just learning what i need to know about idis then getting what i need for mine berween now and next spring and mabe that cc if i can covience my dad to buy it and get rid of his f-150 and the payments on it

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatever you plan it will cost, expect it to cost twice as much.

the more things you change the more little problems will show up.

learn to type. your post makes my head hurt.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have been reading through this post and it just isn't sitting right with me. You have what seems to be a nice truck to start out with. You can absolutely make a capable work platform out of it. Towing a 580 Case? Yes, it can be done. I tow a similar machine locally on rural roads in the flat lands of South Jersey. Legal? NO!! Safe? NO. Able to do interstate highway travel? NO. Please do not let that be the ruler for which you put to this build. IDI motors are not 1000hp powerhouses, however, they can be built to be reliable workers that will outshine a stock 7.3PSD. My wifes Excursion runs my '91 crew cab easily. Compare the specs in my signature. With an exhaust and a $40 cheapo 18k power module, it smokes my truck that has a pricey ATS turbo, new injectors, and maxed out injection pump. Now take note: I would never in a million years put a backhoe behind the Excursion. I would probably wind up in a ditch with the soft suspension and have a puked out auto trans to boot. The old Logger is set up to work and does so very well. Your truck has the same potential. I am a fan of the IDI and accept that cavatation is an issue in old motors and that it is only good for about 200hp at the back tires. It's easy to work on, and as fuel efficient as the best of them.

I hope you lay out a nice build sheet for your truck and enjoy the build as this truck obviously has a sentimental value to it. All of your upgrades sound good, a D60 front is the only dream piece I see missing, a big plus for lift, big tires, and heavy work duty. Start with the drivetrain, then the suspension, and finish up with the body, paint, interior and stereo. If you run out of money, you can drive the truck with rebuilt driveline components and save up for your next list of upgrades. Most projects like this are never "finished" anyway. I hope you figure out what is best for your tastes and find the help on here to bring your ideas to life. Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.;Sweet