how to go on with my E4OD

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove the Transfer Case first. Makes lowering the tranny much easier if it is balanced (without the transfer case).

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Remove the Transfer Case first. Makes lowering the tranny much easier if it is balanced (without the transfer case).
DEFINITELY! The best part is that, usually, if you're in ok physical shape, you can bench press it out and then back in. They really aren't too heavy.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, appriciating the answers!, doiing this to my Ford, is totally new to me, Even since I have my truck already for 13 years! due to document problems I couldn't drive her for all that time, so she only stood around, and now I can drive her (legally), and I have to start with such a "problem"... Just change the seal, and back on the road!
and sorry for the crossposting.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting today, the gasket between the transfer case and gearbox, should that one be renewed with a original? or could I substitute with something else? (I don't know where to get such a gasket in a hurry.)

and then there is the support/adapter TC to Trans, If I take the transfer case of, this support /adapter rests on which?

does it rest on the TC, or on the Trans?

Last edited:

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang! I noticed that Ford uses for almost every other bolt another system, I've seen regular Metric bolts, regular inch bolts, now I come upon torkx bolts, and multi point bolts, and all those varies between internal and external as well!

And I thought that my toolkit was well supplied, divers metric and Inch tools! I hadn't to buy any new tools for 25 years, until I started to wrench on this beast!!!

(actually I don't like that diversity of fastener systems) too complicated.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, this is complicated, I haven't the torx socket for the rear Universal Joint to unbolt, so I can't pull the driveshaft from the TC, I split the TC/trans so that the support stays with the TC, but I can't take the TC out, because there's not sufficient room due to the driveshaft not taken out....

Now I'm busy taking the starter off, but it interferes with the engine and the heavy crossmember where the engine supports are on, I can turn the starter around and around, but not in such a fashion that I can get it out of the truck....

I don't know what those stupid engeneers were smoking when they designed this truck!???

please help!

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot you were in France. I was going to say you can overnight a set of torx sockets. I'm literally taking mine out right now also.

I did my apprenticeship at a ford dealer. My mentor always said that the guys at the ford factory just picked up any bolt or nut they found on the ground during assembly. He had been at the same dealer 25 years and still would throw a wrench or yell about it haha.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, this is complicated, I haven't the torx socket for the rear Universal Joint to unbolt, so I can't pull the driveshaft from the TC, I split the TC/trans so that the support stays with the TC, but I can't take the TC out, because there's not sufficient room due to the driveshaft not taken out....

Now I'm busy taking the starter off, but it interferes with the engine and the heavy crossmember where the engine supports are on, I can turn the starter around and around, but not in such a fashion that I can get it out of the truck....

I don't know what those stupid engeneers were smoking when they designed this truck!???

please help!

Is your starter needing replaced? If not there's no reason to take it out to get the tranny out, it's bolted to the adapter plate and can stay put. Unfortunately unless you can get the torx wrench to remove the drive shaft your pretty much done. I believe they are a t45.

buy some tools or take it to a shop!

He is in France... Not so easy to get tools and probably no shop anywhere that even knows what they are looking at..

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

please help!

I thought the "torx" like bolt for the rear u-joint is actually a normal 12-point socket. I think it is a 3/8"?

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is in France... Not so easy to get tools and probably no shop anywhere that even knows what they are looking at.
I understand that. He is in France. You can still get parts and tools. And some of those Frog mechanics can drop a transmission.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy some tools or take it to a shop!
did you read the whole post? you should know better, beiing in the sticks.
Ok, one more time: Me beiing in the sticks in France, where a truck like this is Unobtainium, fabricated on Mars.

finding a mechanic who has more knowlidge from a truck like this is impossible, not because I know anything about this truck, defenitly not, but because there are hardly any mechanic to find here who knows auto gearboxes, and US trucks in general!

ok, rant over.

about those bolts, I'm happy I'm not the only one who thinks so. about the tools, I hope the local garage is open tomorrow, and I go borrow the correct tool. I thought it was a female 6 point bolt.

No the starter is not gone, I found on the www a small sort of check list saying what to do and not to do, that one mentioned to remove the starter as well.
The good thing of this is that I now know to look into this, just for the case if I'm on a road trip and the starter let's go I know and can change it. that's important to me.

Thanks for the usefull advices.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones on the rear the bolt is female torx, so needs a make torx socket.

The ones on (my) front shaft are male 12pt bolts so a 12pt wrench or socket works.

Home supply and hardware stores may carry the jack knife style torx multi tool if no auto parts stores for the sockets or something similar to these?
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand a little about your part of Europe. I lived in Spain for almost 3 years in the early 70's. And been in the North for 37 years. I just did a search on external torx for BMW and Mercedes cars and they use them. So maybe you could tell it is for your Ford Beemer .

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, thanks for the good willing advice, but I'm not goiing to buy home supply store stuff, I did in the past, and after two weeks I could throw everthing out of the window. broken disfigured etc.
I prefer to invest a bit more, and buy stahlwille, gedore, hazet, I even have a couple of snap on wrenches, grace to the airforce...
those tools at least can take a beating. and that's what I need with this truck. everything is so tight, you hardly believe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online