how do they test for off-road diesel?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know specifically how the test works for off-road diesel? I used to think they just checked to see if the fuel had the red dye in it. But, based on some stories i read on-line (which i have no idea if they are true) it seems like there is actually some kind of digital tester, and that taxed fuel has the green color to it and that is what they really test for. The red dye is just an obvious indication. Is this correct?

The main reason i ask is that i have a lot of used motor oil and also a lot of kerosene from a furnace - it does not have the red dye in it. I think if i made a blend and filtered it really well i would have a good fuel to use but i don't think it is worth the risk of getting fined for using "off-road" fuel - but that kind of depends on what they really test for. If they just look for the red dye i would be safe - but if they are looking specifically for the green dye to indicate "taxed fuel" then i don't think it would be such a good idea.

anyone know?

thanks,
paul

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got pulled over and tested last year, all they did was dip a tube into my tank and pull the fuel out to see what color it was. I don't know if they get any more in depth with it than that, but thats my personal experience. I still get a giggle when I think about the black cloud I left those two guys sitting in......

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they only look for red dye, anyways didnt you pay the taxes on that used motor oil already? when they dip your tank and pull out old motor oil they know what it is, they know people use it and they cant really say anything about it, i use used transformer oil in my trk.

Mr_B

Reaction score
Used motor oil? I never have thought of that... Makes perfect sence. You guys doing anything to it like you do with the veggie stuff?

sassyrel

Reaction score
it is totally legal to use your -------OWN engine oil in your truck-----------:D :D and you can legally use wvo in your truck as a -----------"diesel fuel conditioner and lubrication additive"!!!!!!!!!!! ahem--now the way thats intertpreted------------------:D :D :D

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Used motor oil? I never have thought of that... Makes perfect sence. You guys doing anything to it like you do with the veggie stuff?

Mr_B, all you have to do is filter it! Preferabley a little more than your fuel filter... to be on the safe side!

And to GREASE FIRE, I believe from what some people I know, that have been tested, they only check for the die. I'd say go for it, can't say I wouldn't do the same thing if I had all that left from my furnace!!!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Its called a dip test for a reason but if they have to they can test the fuel cheamicaly about like your test strips for anti freeze to detect the dye

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
it is totally legal to use your -------OWN engine oil in your truck-----------:D :D and you can legally use wvo in your truck as a -----------"diesel fuel conditioner and lubrication additive"!!!!!!!!!!! ahem--now the way thats intertpreted------------------:D :D :D

I'm with you on that... I love NC they have made it legal to run bio in your own truck with a pass on road tax, WVO, 30 year old fuel, WMO filter and go. I got my fuel bills where I pay road tax! So I'm getting 50 miles to a gallon on that taxed fuel... so is them hybrids! :love::D

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have read on some alternative sites that you should filter your WMO to 5 microns or less (you oil filter is 20-30 micorns IIRC). Otherwise the tiny bits of metal (smaller than the 20 microns that your oil filter will catch) will wear out the nozzles of your injectors really quick.

I have about 5-10 gallons of WMO I'd love to burn as fuel, but figured the cost and trouble to filter it would be more than the $20-$30 I'd save on fuel. I'm seriously thinking of seeing if I can find a free 55 gallon drum to start collecting it in though. Once I have that much saved up I think it would be worth it to try filtering it and adding it to my tank a couple of gallons at a time.

Anybody know what spec is on the fuel filters for the IDIs? Seems to me like they were somewhere in the 10-20 micron range IIRC....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
check this out
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22297
i explain my set up, i spent about $75 total IIRC which isent to hard to pay back if you can get a regular supply. a few people i know were just as happy as anything that i could take there used motor oil and they didnt have to sneekaly dump it some where. i did let them know that if i cant take it there are parts stores that take it for free so they dont have to ruin any drinking water.

sassyrel

Reaction score
cheaper--the fuel filter on our trucks is 5 microns------NOMINAL----which means it aint quite 5---but close enough for hand grenades!!!!!! in filters theres both nominal, and absolute. Absolute means nothing larger than 5 microns gets thru

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been running unfiltered WMO for 2 years now, and have had no issues other than hard starts in the winter if the mix is 50/50 or above. Yea, you might wear out your pump and injectors, but when you consider that a new pump and injectors costs the same as 5 fillups, what's the issue? :dunno cookoo I've probably saved over $2000 by now.