'98 F-350 how do they behave in very cold weather?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this question already was asked before?
But I like to know how my truck behaves when it really get's cold, something like Alaska in winter?
specially with the diesel engine, and auto transmission?
Mind you, I can't use the block heater, that's 110V and we have 230V as a standard.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
@Bart F-350 is your 230 Volt electricity single or 3 phase? And is it AC electricity?

Do you know if your electricity is like 120 volts on 2 legs, then a neutral leg?
Actually you probably have some funny form of 3 phase electricity over there!!!!

I have 3 phase electricity up town at the shop I have rented. There it has 2 legs that are 120 volts ea, one leg that's 208 volts, then a neutral leg.

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
Might be able to get one of these if it has a hard time starting

I know it was -15 by me the other week and it took 2 starts but it started up and ran fine. Make sure your glow plugs all work well and make sure you have a strong starter. I think I read somewhere on this forum that the engine won’t catch if the starter can’t get the engine up to 400-450 rpm.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if you cannot get a 220-240v block heater. Check Temro and Hotstart.

Another trick is to gang two 120v elements together in series.

Edit: batteries, cables, glow plugs, and starter will need to be top notch in the cold.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 230V is on two legs, 50Hz.
our industrial current is 400V 50Hz on 3 or even 4 legs (I thought that was when connected machinery has direction controls or something?)

I'm even not sure if I'm gonna bother with these block heaters, we can find them in scandinavian countries, but then, the form of the loop inside the engine, the size of the metal disc, way too many "things" there.

Though seeing that most of you concentrate on the engine, I was a bit worried over the whole thing, and since I'm the owner of this truck for 18 years now, I have hardly drove with it, due to the french gouvernement refusing the correct registration.
But that is now almost coming to an ( positive) end. and so I'm preparing to going get it rolling, buying new tires and all that.

anyone experience in how the E4OD holds itself in great cold?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Our 230V is on two legs, 50Hz.
our industrial current is 400V 50Hz on 3 or even 4 legs (I thought that was when connected machinery has direction controls or something?)
@Bart F-350 when you say "Our 230V is on two legs, 50Hz" is that 230 V on each leg ?

Usually the 50-60Hz part won't matter on the block heater.
Just trying to figure out & maybe help you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc