Cold starts, winter grill cover

Dreadflux

Reaction score
Hey guys... winter is coming.
As the weather approaches, I have two quick questions.
First, when I’m cold starting the truck, how long should I let it try to turn over, before I stop and try again? What is the correct timing of the intervals, my book says 15 seconds which seems long. Also, in my original owners manual, it says I’m to depress the gas pedal half way... is this true? I haven’t been doing this. Just the clutch obviously. I have not let it try more than 5 seconds before I stop. Then when I try again it fires right up, but I have a large cloud of white smoke, then a smaller puff of black. Is this normal?

Second question, my 7.3 diesel runs pretty cold so when should I attach my leather grill cover? The temp outside has been a steady 12-18 degrees Celsius (sorry Canadian here), some mornings as low as 6 degrees C. On the gauge I’m always between the Cold and the first line for the normal area. Even my exhaust temp doesn’t get higher than 400 degrees, usually sits around 300, 400-450 when I’m pulling. But I’ve only had the truck for a month, and haven’t done any heavy pulling yet. My 97’ 7.3 PS was always around the 700-900 range. But it had 390,*** kms vs. 51,*** kms I have on this truck. Wonder if amount of kms makes a difference or not... from what I’m reading you guys seem to have higher readings.

Thanks in advance!
*1991 F-350 dually diesel 7.3L IDI Banks sidewinder conversion. Manual transmission. 51,*** kms.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the throttle halfway is for normal starting. I think under 32F you're supposed to fully depress the pedal.

The factory coolant gauge isn't going to give you good information. You really should get an aftermarket temp gauge. As long as it's getting to operating temperature you're ok, if it's not then you'll need the grille blanket.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the EGTs Banks spec'd the pyro to be *after* the turbo, which ends up reading about 300° lower than the normal placement of pre-turbo. So actually 400° banks vs 700° powerstroke sounds about right. If the fuel wasn't turned up much/enough it'll never have high EGTs, along with not having much power.

+1 for getting a real temp gauge

Cranking 15 seconds isn't bad, just let the starter cool off for a full 2 mins between tries.
Also you can try a double glow plug cycle-- if it starts right away you have 1 or 2 burned out GP's. Just cycle the keys after the first glow cycle to start another one right away. It'll be shorter since they are hot already but helps to start.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Some thoughts.

Often members suggest 10sec starting intervals to help preserve the starter.

White smoke is unburned fuel.
1) Could be 30-60 secs of turning over.
2) Could be a couple of tired or cold cylinders getting up to temp before firing right.
3) You should check the glow plug continuity. Open result means they are bad. Once 2-3 fail the system will turn on and off 1 second later.

1) I turn the key to on, it starts the glow plugs warming.
2) While the glow plugs warm up I press the gas pedal half down and let go. That sets the cold high idle. (Providing yours is working.). Now the truck will idle say 100rpms faster. I only get down to the 40’s around here and have not had to keep my foot on the gas.
3) I start the truck, it should really clatter at first and the quiet down. If not likely you IP is not timed correctly or cold advance is not working.
4) Remember to plug in block heater to keep it warm and help cold starting.
5) Radiator cover. I think you will need to see with a infrared temp reader what your radiator, exhaust, and tranny is doing. If it’s getting hot and staying hot after 20 miles you may want to make try half covered or not at all. Not in your case, but for other readding members, the radiator also helps heat/cool your atf on a automatic so keep in mind what you want your tranny temp doing. After a couple of weeks you should have it all figured out.