Timing related to cold starts

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
Hey all
Looking for some input from the experience on this forum. Could the timing affect cold starting? I presume that it could and I would guess advancing the timing would make it easier to start, hence the cold idle advance solenoid. Can anyone confirm this? Has any one seen any difference in cold starts in dynamically timed engines between 8.5* and 9.5* BTDC?

I’ve read in a few spots that a lot of people prefer the 9.5* with modern ULSD but I’m curious if that makes it harder to start in cold weather. Winter where I live is usually teens to twenties with occasional dips to the sub-zeros.

Thanks for the input.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always set my timing to 7* per recommendations from r and d
But yes timing could indeed affect, what effects it the most is compression, fuel, and glow plugs though
I went though all listed above and it starts within a second if crank -10

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The condition of the starter makes a huge difference too. I did all the injectors, pump, and all glow plugs were good but still had cold starting problems. The original starter turned the engine over but not fast enough. A new DB inexpensive starter made all the difference.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing matters some. If you have a slow cranking pig that's low on compression it won't matter. But if it's out a mile you'll get a better experience having it where it should be.

You'll actually want it near 0(retarded from normal) for better cold starts. Has to do with more heat in the chamber at 0° then at 9° advanced. FYI, timing retards with pedal travel, and that's one of the reasons why you depress the pedal when cranking. Wes had some write ups on here describing pump operation while cranking, and IIRC cold advance isn't in play when cranking, only when running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.