how do they test for off-road diesel?

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought some filters from veg power.com for bout 4.50 a piece,,they are rated 1 micron ,,,look like a big sock with a metal hoop sewn into the end. Heat up your oil a lil first and it goes through easy enough,,but did filter tyhe other day at 18 here in neb,,,jus took a lil more time,,as far as starts ,,,mine fired up 26 below ,,,plugged in of course,,,but fired right up,,,but i have a few magic ingredients in it,,,mainly cetane booster,, some anti gel and a tad of acetone,,but am runnin 50/50 now and she runs better than ever and no smoke,,,ohh sometimes i add a lil vegetable to make it ,,,the exhaust smell good,,,,also am runnin it in my international 856 tractor,,,and she fires right up too,,,,,,,,:thumbsup:

tractorman86

Reaction score
dosent the 856:thumbsup: run a 401? those where a GOOD engine
also what happens if you mix some ATF in your fuel? can they bust you because it is red?:dunno :confused:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
WMO eh....I have an endless supply at work with 40-50L hitting the drain pan several times a day.....I could cut my fuel bill in 1/2 or less if I had the right filtration system. What is the ideal mixture with the least issues? How often are you changing your fuel filters? Does it smoke any? Are you burning used 15w-40 or lighter gasoline WMO?...I need details....:dunno :D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
WMO eh....I have an endless supply at work with 40-50L hitting the drain pan several times a day.....I could cut my fuel bill in 1/2 or less if I had the right filtration system. What is the ideal mixture with the least issues? How often are you changing your fuel filters? Does it smoke any? Are you burning used 15w-40 or lighter gasoline WMO?...I need details....:dunno :D

Mixing it really depends on the weather. Mel says that durning the winter he has 50/50 WMO and diesel, and it starts a little hard and smokes some. I would think that in the summer months, you could get away with mixing it up to 75/25 WMO and diesel, but that is starting to get real thick, so I probably only go to 50/50. Diesel oil is fine, I filter out the oil that came out of my truck through a flat style air filter (we bought it for our John deere lawn mower, but we ended up buying a kit that everything came in it, so we never used the air filter, so thats what I use). I dump half of it in one tank, and half in another. Works fine, and I dont have to mess around with desposing of the oil.

I know a guy who has a early 90's GMC 2500 with a Cummins 4bt, and he runs a 50/50 mix of diesel and tranny fluid. He said that tranny fluid burns real hot though, so you cant really mix it over 50/50 with diesel.

tractorman86

Reaction score
every now and then i run some trans fluid for that reason works real well anytime i can pick up someone's used atf ill take it.:thumbsup: sounds like i need to get one of those filter socks tho. still wonder if they would think it was farm fuel tho. i can't afford the ticket and they are checking people left and right semi's and all!:puke:

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
So I am wonderin I have a whole bunch of waste oil to but it sits out in a tank and gets some water in it could i use this or is it bad because of the water

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know specifically how the test works for off-road diesel?

This is how I have seen it done in road-blocks :

They will usually set up on a bridge, blocking all traffic.

Although state-troopers may be employed in stopping the traffic, the actual testing is performed by tax-collection officials, NOT the DOT or local law.

They run a device into the tank that holds a small sample-bag, much like the sample-bags that milk-haulers use.

Prior to dipping, all truck/driver information is written on a label on the bag.

The device is lowered into the tank and the bag fills with fuel; each tank gets a seperate bag.

The filled sample-bag(s) is then taken back to a lab, where tests are ran on the sample.

Once the sample is drawn, you are sent on your merry way, not knowing whether you have passed or not.

Many weeks later, you get a notice in the mail, or a summons, depending on the results of the test.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am wonderin I have a whole bunch of waste oil to but it sits out in a tank and gets some water in it could i use this or is it bad because of the water

A small amount of heat will evaporate off any water, or just let it settle and draw off the oil, leaving the water behind.

An old MR-COFFEE type filter set-up works wonderfully for filtering used oil.

In practice, the pump/injectors will actually last much longer, due to the increased lubricity of the oil, as opposed to running straight ULSD, which is a pump killer.

One note of CAUTION, DO NOT use synthetic oil, as it behaves differently.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
What happens if they can't get anything into your tank? My tank, and I would assume at least all van tanks have a filter screen on the input of the fuel tank on the inside. So basically you can't siphon the fuel out or anything. You'd have to drop the tank down to get inside. What do they do then, and do you guys have that screen?

I figured out I had that last time I dropped the tank when I couldn't get my siphon line into the tank to empty it before i dropped it.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Around here, there's no bags.

They just run a 1/4" opaque tube down the fillerneck, close the end with their finger, and pull it out. Any signs of dued fuel, and you get the treatment.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
why no synthetic? i have run it plenty of times with no issues, although not a whole lot of it about 2-3 gallons a tank with no issues.:dunno

i run anything i can though, power steering fluid, auto transmission fluid, hydraulic, diesel oil, gas oil, old kerosine, she takes it all and smiles. might smoke a little more on start up or heavy acceleration but not much and my truck is a little peppier to.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with burning synthetic oil? If you were to get WMO from somewhere it could be mixed in? Also all my cars run synthetic except the truck since it need the HD oil.