holy Ludicris speed!!!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You sure factory is 3.5?
Always looked smaller than the 3.5 on the 7.3. And I don't know if the 6.0 is the same way, but on the 7.3 it's only 3.5 from cat back. In front of the cat it's 3.
Amazon has diamond eye kits for decent prices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That I will need to crawl under and measure...... I only measured at the tail pipe..... yea I know..... I will check that before I buy anything......

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On my neighbors 6.0 it may have been 3.5, but we didn't measure as we cut the whole thing out.
It also had another cat looking thing built into the downpipe, but can hardly tell it's there because all the foil stuff.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I'm looking at 3.5 at this point, I am on a budget for this... and I just want to make a clean slice in front of the cat, and the rear of the muffler and drop it out, and put 2 band clamps and a section of pipe in its place. THe stock stuff is 3.5 and I am just wanting to swap out the middle. I may change everything out at some point in time (Turbo back) but the rest of the truck is 100% stock, except an EGR Delete, so a bigger exhaust isn't going to do much for me at this point. I mainly just want it to breathe better, and the muffler and cat have 156,000 miles on it so I am sure it's a bit plugged up, plus I ma starting to notice a bit more exhaust note....

Plus I have a neighbor that doesn't like my diesel truck.........

remove the downpipe/cat, remove innards of the cat (if you really suspect it's clogged)

cut out the stock muffler as close to it as possible, flip the S piece around 180 degrees directly in front of the muffler

If you have to pass a visual, get a BTM online for $60, if not get a piece of 3.5" pipe

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-21470?seid=srese1&gclid=COq6y6edscgCFZWRHwodnn4AyA

For $60 you'll have 80% the performance of a complete 4" system

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The only reason I'm looking at 3.5 at this point, I am on a budget for this... and I just want to make a clean slice in front of the cat, and the rear of the muffler and drop it out, and put 2 band clamps and a section of pipe in its place. THe stock stuff is 3.5 and I am just wanting to swap out the middle. I may change everything out at some point in time (Turbo back) but the rest of the truck is 100% stock, except an EGR Delete, so a bigger exhaust isn't going to do much for me at this point. I mainly just want it to breathe better, and the muffler and cat have 156,000 miles on it so I am sure it's a bit plugged up, plus I ma starting to notice a bit more exhaust note....

Plus I have a neighbor that doesn't like my diesel truck.........

I here ya on the budget. I did the same thing with my truck. Lopped off the muffler and tossed a 3.5" pipe in its place. I ran it like that for a couple of years until I got a sweet deal on an 4" turbo back exhaust.
Best part of the deal it came with a muffler delete pipe.;Sweet

You are going to find a straight 3.5" pipe to be a little loud. But who cares about that. Besides your neighbor will really like the cool 6. oh sound early in the AM.:rotflmao

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
On my neighbors 6.0 it may have been 3.5, but we didn't measure as we cut the whole thing out.
It also had another cat looking thing built into the downpipe, but can hardly tell it's there because all the foil stuff.

The other cat looking thing is a resonator.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uploading two Videos to youtube of my exhaust sound. It's now been 5 hrs and 15 minutes, remaining time is 77 minutes to complete.
Stay tuned, I'll post here when done. ***

Done finely. This is what she sounds like wsith the little muffler I posted above. This is at idle 685 RPM, actually sounds a lot better in person, more of a chug/puff than a rattle.

https://youtu.be/sXLnEaCLqnY

https://youtu.be/xxAAgs6OuDM

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
remove the downpipe/cat, remove innards of the cat (if you really suspect it's clogged)

cut out the stock muffler as close to it as possible, flip the S piece around 180 degrees directly in front of the muffler

If you have to pass a visual, get a BTM online for $60, if not get a piece of 3.5" pipe

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-21470?seid=srese1&gclid=COq6y6edscgCFZWRHwodnn4AyA

For $60 you'll have 80% the performance of a complete 4" system

Nope, no inspections at all.... as long as I pay the Governor once a year.... (plates) is all I need to be able to drive it.......

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the sooted up muffler ststement, is there a big problem with this?
Specifically in an idi turbo setup with stock pre turbo pipes?
Can't see a difference in turbo and non pipes?!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

good question...
one of which i have no clue, ive only ran my IDI 1 of 2 ways, with straigt pipe, and without a down pipe lol

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

Actually, it can be an issue. If I remember right, RLDSL removed his factory muffler he said it weighed probably a hundred pounds with all the soot in it. It was all you could do to pick it up......