Exhaust

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck down for a new muffler and exhaust over the rear axle. I was quoted a little over $1000. He was also pushing for 3 in exhaust. I carry my two granddaughters and the do not like loud noise. I have to start if after they are in their seats. Where can I get an exhaust kit for my truck? I would rather buy a kit and do it myself that pay his outrageous prices.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a Banks 3.5" system on mine. The injection pump is much louder than the exhaust note. Banks may have discontinued their kit as I can't find it listed on the website anymore, but it would be worth a phone call or e-mail.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gale quit idi support years back.
Beware of the diamond eye product, someone here was the prototype test mule and was not impressed...
Pm me and I'll try to find it sometime.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hyper Max for a 7.3 IDI without a turbo... what would the noise be? Turbochargers quiet down the exhaust, but if I stick with NAPA for replacement parts the diameter is very small. I'd like to be able to hear myself think when I drive...
I had this exhaust, on the truck that my 7.3 engine came from.

Even with a turbo, it wasn't the quietest. Not loud, good sound and tone, just… a decent medium. I’d prefer quieter, but… my Dodge, used to be very loud, had no exhaust for awhile. So I’m pretty burnt out on any exhaust noise. Just want quiet. Gear rollover noise and injector fire and turbo whistle is all I wanna hear. I’m getting tired of downpipe only on my 86.

Mostly not a fan because I have very bad hearing. If someone is trying to talk to me in the truck, with no muffler, just can’t hear em. Even with a muffler they have to talk loud for me to understand them.

Was gonna put a stack on my 86, with a tractor flap, lol, but the muffler I want is on backorder. Is like 51” long, open flow. Supposed to be really quiet.

Am starting to think, might not do the stack, and maybe even order the Hypermax exhaust, and put a bigger muffler on it.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hyper Max for a 7.3 IDI without a turbo... what would the noise be? Turbochargers quiet down the exhaust, but if I stick with NAPA for replacement parts the diameter is very small. I'd like to be able to hear myself think when I drive...
Me too. That's the main thing I don't like about this truck. Especially with the 3 speed/4:10. But most of the noise seems to come from the engine bay. Tough to even have a conversation at highway speeds. Luckily I don't drive there very often.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Rockauto list a full kit, and all sections. If nothing else, see where else you can buy the part #'s.

For me, the Y-pipe or downpipe is the key item. After that, its fairly easy to DIY custom-cobble the rest.

Some OBS powerstroke pieces may have a larger diameter.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much just need a tail pipe and measure the gap for the strait pipe, pick a muffler and miscellaneous clamps and hangers

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I’m getting tired of downpipe only on my 86.

Am starting to think, might not do the stack, and maybe even order the Hypermax exhaust, and put a bigger muffler on it.
From my experience, the farther away that the exhaust exits from you, the quieter it sounds. Even with no muffler in the exhaust. Having it exit under/beside/behind the beds helps too. The exhaust that was on my bronco when it was gas powered is now on my 81 F150. It exits behind the driver with a pair of old glass packs. It doesn't seem to be all that bad on the F150, but seemed very loud on the Bronco. Of course it exited right under the cab on the bronco and exits under the bed on the F150.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my experience, the farther away that the exhaust exits from you, the quieter it sounds. Even with no muffler in the exhaust. Having it exit under/beside/behind the beds helps too. The exhaust that was on my bronco when it was gas powered is now on my 81 F150. It exits behind the driver with a pair of old glass packs. It doesn't seem to be all that bad on the F150, but seemed very loud on the Bronco. Of course it exited right under the cab on the bronco and exits under the bed on the F150.
I do agree, but I just want quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.