Hybrid factory turbo collector to Banks turbo, ideas please.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I'm messing with a project with a Banks 1st gen turbo and I am trying to eliminate the ridiculously long and inefficient Banks up pipes (which needed to get redone anyways). I am wanting to use an exhaust Y collector from a factory turbo kit, and fabricate a nice short up-pipe to the Banks turbo inlet (as seen in the attached pic). I will install a bellows or flex joint in the pipe but need a way/ideas to connect to the factory collector slip joint fitting. I'm not opposed to welding something to it, taking into account the risks welding to cast, of course. Are there any particular fittings out there that would be the "go to" for mating to that slip joint? I'm out of the loop in regards to specialty exhaust couplings and such.

I'm trying to replicate this setup below:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks folks.

Attachments

• 20240519_111442.jpg
    20240519_111442.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 10

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the Banks up-pipes? That's a good start.
@IDIoit makes a sweet up-pipe for the 093. Maybe he could sell you just the lower 2/3'rds of one and you weld the top adapter to it yourself?

No matter what you do you're welding something, be it upper or upper and lower + bellows, etc. But if you have the banks side I'd just order good quality flex or bellows or get the angle *perfect* and buy the thickest v-band rings you can find. Then cut the banks top side down, weld that to the bellows and for the cast iron weld in short sections 180 degrees apart. You can pre-heat to 500* and then find a way to insulate it so the cast cools down slowly. I'm sure the general welding community can help out here, too. That's what I did when I made my 093 outlet 3", has worked great with no issues. I'm also gonna do something about the garbage slip joint some day, too. High temp RTV works for a while but that's it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the Banks up-pipes? That's a good start.
@IDIoit makes a sweet up-pipe for the 093. Maybe he could sell you just the lower 2/3'rds of one and you weld the top adapter to it yourself?

No matter what you do you're welding something, be it upper or upper and lower + bellows, etc. But if you have the banks side I'd just order good quality flex or bellows or get the angle *perfect* and buy the thickest v-band rings you can find. Then cut the banks top side down, weld that to the bellows and for the cast iron weld in short sections 180 degrees apart. You can pre-heat to 500* and then find a way to insulate it so the cast cools down slowly. I'm sure the general welding community can help out here, too. That's what I did when I made my 093 outlet 3", has worked great with no issues. I'm also gonna do something about the garbage slip joint some day, too. High temp RTV works for a while but that's it.
Yup I do have the Banks up pipes still, so I can use whatever from them. I'd like to use the flange joint for the turbo inlet coupling as i've never had any leak problems there, it's a conventional flange and that can be my disconnect point if necessary. Then i'd like to weld to the slip joint and completely eliminate that leak prone area. Then a flex or bellows in the middle OR directly to one end or the other.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW Your package is in customs in Los angeles. So at least it is moving.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too.
I gave it to my carrier tuesday, then it vanished.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats funny. But it went thru customs in LA so is on the way.