Heres one for ya

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well even if the pressure plate or bearing has failed, shouldn't the push rod on the slave cylinder extend and retract? The throwout bearing still slides and hits the pressure plate perfect. My next guess would be Master Cylinder?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, it could have damaged things when it went on you.

How did you bleed it? Just opening it up and letting brake fluid flow isnt good enough. Just curious...

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I filled the new slave cylinder with as much fluid as i could then put the line on. I pulled the plastic retaining strap off and compressed the rod on the frame with one hand while i loosened and tightened the alan screw with the other. At first it was just air, then after a few times of that it was nothing but fluid. The vent hole was also uphill.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sounds about right. I would think if your clutch is still messed up its either the master cylinder or something worse.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds like a crappy possibility but I had a 2000 Mustang GT a couple years ago. One day I was coming to a stop and when I pushed the clutch down something popped. When I tried to take off it ground but finally went into gear. I got back home by shifting without the clutch and when I pushed down the clutch to stop when I got home, but it wouldn't stop, I had to pull it out of gear. I tore into it that night and the pressure plate had broke and snapped in-two and dug into the clutch disc. The clutch fork was also broke where the two little fingers held it on the retaining ball, I am not sure which caused which but you might look to see if your pressure plate cracked and broke. Mine looked like it was release but there were 2 points that where still in contact with the clutch disc.

When everything was said and done, I had to have new clutch kit, new clutch fork, resurfaced flywheel, and new clutch cable (because the crappy factory adjuster broke) and this car only had 50,000 miles on it , but somehow it just broke.

Maybe you can check and see if the pressure plate is released all the way around, or if it looks like it is "bending" somewhere and still touching.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
How does your clutch pedal feel? Solid the whole way down? and does the pedal come all the way to the top of it's travel when you let off? It sounds like you have it bled right, but there may be an air bubble in there somewheres still. If you are positive it is bled right, then i would pull the transmission.
If i remember right, the t-19 separates away from it's bell housing....I would pull the transmission and see what is going on in the bell housing. If you still can't see anything, pull the bell housing and have a look. It could be a problem inside the clutch assembly

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pedal goes straight to the floor with the slightest bit of force. I know my problem exists somewhere in the hydraulics. In the days leading up to this incident, there were signs that it was going bad, but i didnt think anything of it. I just need to try and bleed it some more. Thanks a bunch.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
A good way to make sure the air is out is to force the fluid from the bottom of the system (the slave sylinder) to the top of the system (the master cylinder and fluid container.) NAPA sells a one man bleeder system that pulls fluid down through the brake system, but if you reverse the lines it will push fluid. It pumps by hand and it don't cost an arm and a leg. I know how hard it is to bleed the system! I put a couple cheap slaves in my trucks before. Pump the hell outta it and good luck!

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay i finally got some pressure this morning. The pedal stops about two or three inches before hitting the floor. What next? Do i just keep pumping until i get more pressure? The clutch fork moves about an inch.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
it stops befor eit hits the floor? or it runs out of pressure before it hits the floor? sound slike you are getting the air out of it though

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to bleed the line on my sister's ranger by depressing the pedal normally and releasing it quickly several times. Didn't have to crack any of the fittings but instead just repeaded that process a dozen times or so and it purged the air on its own.

Don't know if this applies to the F series trucks as well, but I think its worth a try.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont force it the rest of the way, if it is fully stroking the slave you will blow the end out of it. If it is topped out you have a clutch problem. Which it sounds like anyway, bad fingers on pp is my guess.

David85, I bleed mine like that, long hold down to let the bubbles rise then release, repeat till pedal is good.