Help with search or the answer.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a happy new year.

I'm getting back to project little foot. It's time to get the gas tanks in, and the fabric that was under the tanks and straps is now gone or destroyed. I know there must be info here somewhere but I"m having trouble with the search.
Tried
Gas tank straps fabric (post from laser jock that says he's using campter tape)
gas tank (to much to sift through)
and several variations with little success.

I'd suppose I'd like to start with "gas tank" and then search through the results and refine my search till I get a workable amount of data to post though. Is there a way to do this, or chain search terms with AND. I"m trying to do the right thing here and search first, but frankly it's probably easier to just post for each question....

BTW in case you missed it, I'm looking for a replacement for the factory "fabric" that protects the gas thanks from the skid plate and straps that hold it.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any 2-3" wide strips of nylon, rubber, etc. strap can be used for the buffer between the 'fuel tank' and mounting straps. Up to you for the material to use.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run down to Lowes Home Improvement Center....In the weather proofing aisle should have what you need. Sometimes going to a truck and off road center may lead you to your goal....good luck

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early jeeps used a woven canvas thread 1 1\2" wide bout 5 ' LONG
Cj-2a
Cj 3
Mb
M38
Ect

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not want anything that will soak up moisture and sit there against the tank wet for days. The few places I worried about it, I just used black electrical tape wrapped around the strap where it mattered. That thicker rubber electrical tape might work even better.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used strips cut from asphalt roof shingles. I installed plastic replacement tanks so I placed the gritty side of the shingle strip towards the tank.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
roofers felt aka Tar paper
Not abrasive