Header wrap on turbo pipes?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Did you ask him to show you... I find that hard to believe, not saying it's not true but me ain't touching one...

I don't know about the ceramic, but I wouldn't call BS on it too soon. I know I've grabbed onto a pipe about 1 ft down from an exhaust manifold with a layer of header wrap on it before with the engine idling and I could hang onto the thing. ( That was idling, I did try it again right after coming off the road after running it hard, and it was a slightly different story cookoo

------Robert

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Wraping the pipe will INSULATE it and result in higher EGT's by keeping the heat in the pipe. I dont believe there will be a decrease in sound of any kind by wrapping the pipe. I think you would be better off to just route other things away from the pipe so they dont get hot or maybe even wrap things that come close to the pipe instead of wrapping the pipe itself.

As far as painting it goes.........duplicolor makes high temp paint with ceramic in it......i have used it on exhaust pipes before to protect them and it also improves their apperance. It seems to hold up well.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Cowboy,

The wrap will not increase EGT, it starts downstream of the normal location for the EGT sender.

I have my up-pipes wrapped with 2" header wrap from Summit. I have also completely wrapped my turbo. The wrap does a good job of retaining heat from the exhaust manifold to the turbo and the turbo is silent . That is pretty good as this is a van chassis and half the engine is in the cab with us.

I decided I didn't buy the doom and gloom stories that my pipes were going to fall apart and went with my gut feeling that it was going to work just fine and after two years and 20,000 mles pulling a heavy motorhome and toad everything is fine. Hypermax told me that the boost I was getting was about the best they had heard of with the conventional kit and they attributed it to the pipes retaining heat.

Jim

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who is a moderator on another IDI board who wrapped his pipes with the cloth-tape type wrap and THEN soaked it with a couple of coats of the ceramic paint. Eight months and 12k miles later he's still happy with the results. Says its good for 2-3 lbs extra boost due to the heat retention.....

Last edited:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Maybe paint the pipe first, then wrap it?

I dunno, I would never use the stuff. Jet hot, or similar is a much better. option. The cost is relative.
Have a set of up pipes coated, or wrap them and take the chance of having to replace them in 3-4 years?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Cowboy,

The wrap will not increase EGT, it starts downstream of the normal location for the EGT sender.

.......................................... Hypermax told me that the boost I was getting was about the best they had heard of with the conventional kit and they attributed it to the pipes retaining heat.

Jim

:bs

EGT stands for Exhaust Gas Temperature............if you insulate the pipe the exhaust gas goes through anywhere then it will cause the exhaust to retain rather than disipate heat through conduction and convection.

And why would pipes retaining heat have anything to do with boost?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
It'd prolly make an EGT Guage mounted up near the turbo, like Banks does it, a little more accurate/quicker.
The gasses would'nt be cooled as much, by the time they got to the probe?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:bs

EGT stands for Exhaust Gas Temperature............if you insulate the pipe the exhaust gas goes through anywhere then it will cause the exhaust to retain rather than disipate heat through conduction and convection.

And why would pipes retaining heat have anything to do with boost?

The turbine helps the hot gases give up the heat and turn it into mechanical energy, aka boost. The turbo is not just an air pump.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
The EGT (exhaust gas temp) we monitor is the best way we can tell how hot things are in the combustion chamber. We don't care what happens after the exhaust gas leaves the combustion chamber and goes past our temp sender - Except - the force that turns our turbo comes from the expanded exhaust gasses that come out of our engine. The hotter that exhaust gas is the larger the volume is. So simply put the more you can retain the heat in the exhaust system between the exhaust port on the head and the turbine in the turbo the better your system will work as far as making boost. Any heat radiated out of the system before the turbo is lost energy.

Just got back today from a 3500 mile trip to CA and AZ. Averaged 10.1 mpg pulling 15,000 lbs of motorhome and Samurai. Saw 14 psi boost on a couple of long hills with the propane on and the EGT never went over 1150. Used 2quarts of Delo 15-40 for the whole trip so I couldn't be happier. Love my GV Overdrive!!

Jim