Header wrap on turbo pipes?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to instal my new to me ATS turbo setup:D and was considering wrapping the up and down pipe section with header wrap to help keep the heat away from the firewall and cut some noise.

Are there any problems with doing that ?

Thanks---------Robert

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been told that it can accelerate the decay of the up pipes. I've been wanting to do it to my Hypermax for a while, but don't want to rust them out.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
It does accelerate rust. Moisture can collect under the wrapduring moist conditions.

You'd be better served with Jet Hot coating.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
I trashed a header with that stuff in less than a year. I think it would be OK if it was garaged and only raced on weekends but on a DD forget it. Get the sheet stuff that can be attached to the firewall.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That Jet hot looks nice...but not at those prices.

What if I wire wheel it all down to clean metal and hit it with a few coats of exhaust paint before wrapping ? Would that fend off rust issues?
We don't get any road salt around here, so there's only rainwater spray.

---------Robert

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Jet Hot a ceramic coating? That's what I was told was the better option.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that would keep it from rusting but who knows. If you decide to try it I would recomend a stuff called cast blast. 5 years ago I sand blasted and coated a set of headers on my 69 cougar with the stuff and it has held up exstremely well. I get if from a vendor at the daytona turkey run but here is the website of the manufacturer. It looks like they may have changed the name to hot spot but the number on my can is 16-2668 and is good to 1200 degrees Far. http://www.seymourpaint.com/index.cfm/products/?id=91#suggested_uses

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is Jet Hot a ceramic coating? That's what I was told was the better option.
Yes, but from what I can see, you have to send the parts in to one of their authorized application places to the tune of big $$$$ :eek:

----Robert

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I took a brand new set of headers out of box wrapped them then installed them on a gasser truck I was building a few years ago... then in a few months (it was a daily driver) I stopped at a gas station to get some cheetoos and such and when I came out I heard an exhaust leak so started looking for it, well I noticed that there some movement out of the header wrap, so I felt around and bingo there it was way so I touched it...

ok bad move....

When I touched it the metal collapased and my finger was in the stream of a running engine... :eek: -cuss :eek: -cuss

well when I got home I removed the header and found that the metal was crystalized, it was crumbling away from just touching it. So I promptly called Summit racing up (dealer of both the headers and the wrap) talked to their tech line and the guy acted like I should have known that this stuff was not for a daily driver, he said that it did not surprise him at all because the wrap traps the heat so it will shorten the life of the pipe... He was nice enough to sell me another set of headers and I passed on the wrap that time... It was amazing how the metal just crumbled. So wrapping the pipes is ok but only if it's going on the strip, it's not for street use...

go with the ceramic coating if you wanted coated parts. Other wise just leave them the way they are and enjoy.

Now you can wrap them in that stuff that looks like alumnium bubble wrap - it's not bubble wrap but you know the stuff I'm talking about. This works because it shields heat but also allows air to get between it and the pipe because it does not fit snug, it's sort of loose and this makes a difference. But the tight fitting wrap stuff... nope pass on that...

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
my plan was to use high temp paint on the up pipes(1500*) wrap the pipes then use a high temp silicone sealer on the wrap to keep moisture out.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I'd say get the inside of them cermaic coated. I remember a guy with a van doing that and he said that after he did it he could hold the pipes to the turbo with the van running and they would stay relativley cool.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Did you ask him to show you... I find that hard to believe, not saying it's not true but me ain't touching one...