Grey white smoke no start?

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injection line #1 was found hanging by a thread so i disconnect #8 to get to tighten up 1 properly. Attempted to purge air from lines for a few days afterwards truck cranks strong now that temps arent freezing but still only runs for half a second while it takes a minute of cranking to get to this point im stumped. White smoke upon start up from turbo and occasionally burnt smelling white smoke from tail pipe? Could it be glow plugs if not injection pump? Fuel in oil is present aswell. Injectors new on 7.3 idit 129k miles new lift pump aswell. From ford. Any ideas very appreciated 94 f350 idi turbo 7.3 129k

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift pump is fine. Injectors have 20k on them motor is smooth when running. Have been cranking for a few days now can u flood cylinders on a diesel? I did have recent problems with my up pipes being misaligned(bolt snapped) which made reading the dipstick impossible beacause of turbo? Aligned it back with vice grips now dipstick is a little over do not add line. Could not read it prior to fixing exhaust crossover pipe?

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyways parts stores closed today and i wasnt going to pull glowplugs to test and let things swell overnight so figured some might have any ideas on solvents for injection pump or if glow plugs causing a quick no start scenario? Pump rebuild soon but truck ran b4 i shut it down due to leaking fuel. Dont make me use ether lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only 3 ways to fill crankcase with fuel.

leaving the rings off the pistons.

a faulty mechanical lift pump.

actually putting diesel in the crank case.

if it fires at all i would rule out the lack of piston rings lol

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 sentence and i figured out 90% of my posts lol thx

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do i spray ether in stock turbo lol im fed up

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had white bursts of smoke during cold idle and higher rpms (2.3k+) on 1 colder day b4 i found out #1 cylinder was loose off injection pump. Could i have easily wiped this cylinder out and if so could it still run on 7?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do i spray ether in stock turbo lol im fed up

NO EFFING WHERE.
IF it dont fire in 30 seconds stop, go to store ' buy reacement starter for when you cook the present one.

That said, how did the inj, back out?
With air in 2 inj. It should still fire.

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to replace #1 injection line awhile ago and it backed out somehow.

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter is cranking strong at around 300 rpms? Or does idi need 600 like power stroke. Truck fires up after about a 30 second hard start. revs high and dies out ******. Just wont stay running never had this purge scenario. And fuel didnt spray everywhere when lines were cracked on #1 injector like the others managed to..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
delete the mechanical pump.
install an electric pump into a 5 gal can of diesel and run a hose to the filter head.
purge, glow, fire.

has this ran since new sticks?

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got this brand new mechanical lol and what sticks? No needs glowplugs but it ran b4 it started leaking will test glow plugs later

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injectors are referred to as sticks.

How long does the WTS (Wait To Start) light stay on?
Should be for 12 to 15 seconds as cold as it is, and then the relay should cycle ON/OFF for awhile.
If that don't happen, then you have a bad controller or glow plugs.

Did you disturb the line from filter to the IP, when messing with the injector lines?
Try tightening the nuts a little on the IP and filter, there is a seal in both places and are prone to let air in.

You can give it a small 1/2 second spirts of ether in the air filter after the GP cycle, then try start, should fire off.
If it don't keep running, then you have air intrusion someplace in the fuel supply. Another good place for air intrusion is the short rubber hose at the lift pump, replace it since you changed the LP.