gonna get me one.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
you're not kidding about the turning radius reg cab vs ex cab. i'd get a crew if one came along in my price range. price and condition are the driving factors in what i end up getting.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
69oiler said:
what about the '95s? i have a lead on a 95 with a 5 speed and a super chip. 4 inch exhaust.

the 95s are good.i have a 95 crew cab.they just have a few things that make certain mods a little more difficult.one of wich i think i came up with the fix for.if youd like some more good info on the PSD trucks go over to www.superdutydiesel.com .we have a ton of info over there.you will be reading for days ;Sweet

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Wow you surpassed me in the jump. :hail Sharp looking truck Rob. ;Sweet What's the switch to the left of the heater controls? 4X4? Now you need a bigger trailer to pull behind it? Might look kind of funny pulling a pop up. ;Poke :D
Get ready for some :fan: and then ;burnout

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Good lookin truck Rob although at this rate there won't be any one left for the IDI rallys it'll be the used to own an IDI rally

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Aric you're a workin man you know how it goes. you can only nurse an old truck along so far as a daily driver. i like idi's, but not exclusively.

the '99 is pretty sweet. gotta adjust the front bumper (loose bolts) and it's gonna need ball joints and a torque converter eventually but overall it's in real good shape. and boy does it scoot. :D

thanks for the comments:)

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
The superdutys arn't that bad. I feel the older iron is built a little thicker, but the superdutys are put together well.

ESOF? Make sure you use it at least once a month or the stupid motor could lock up.

30K trouble free stock miles so far for me.

Adrianspeeder

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i gave in to the creature comforts...plus i like the idea of the possible resale value and the fact that the wiring and stuff is only 7 years old. i can put up with a lot but i cant put up with old worn out wiring and electrical gremlins.

the SD interior seems enormous compared to my '86. the doors are huge and handling is clumsy compared to the old truck, probably due to the wheelbase. still, i like the new truck a lot. if it treats me half as well as the old IDI i'll be doing alright.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Yep I totally understand its nice to get in a truck and you got heat and power stearing and all those creature comforts my stroke replaced my 67 GMC so that was a big step up plus unless your wanting a truck to restore we'll all have to buy an electronic controlled truck eventually

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
now if youre considering an SD you have to be completely honest about what you plan to do with the truck as far as added power cuz there are a few years to stay away from.

just now saw this statement... what years did you have in mind to avoid? i know the early '99 i ended up getting is kind of a "*******" truck with different turbo and a couple other things. i called my diesel mechanic buddy and he let me know what i was getting myself into. (thanks Nick)

everyone looks at me like i'm crazy when i say i dont plan to mod the truck. at least for now till i learn more about it. the last thing i need is a blown up tranny or PSD. i need to replace the rattling torque convertor and go thru the front end, then i will see how the truck runs and maybe then consider a power adder.

i dont really need more power.. i don't tow heavy very often and when i do even my 6.9 was adequate (just slow). the new truck should be like night and day.

Ggg

Reaction score
A fairly good/cheap torque converter is a stock 4r100, I think they run about $300. A 5r110 can be used with a John Woods adapter but not too many people are using them. After that there are only a few choices, Precession Stallion, Suncoast, ATS 5-star. These all run $1000+ but they are all very good torque converters. Is it possible that your torque converter is a aftermarket multi disk converter? They do rattle.

Last edited:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
how would i be able to tell if it was aftermarket? i have heard that the stock convertors wear prematurely and rattle. some rattle forever, some fail and take the tranny with them.

i read the new 4r100 conveertor is upgraded to solve this problam?

Ggg

Reaction score
Unless the previous owner or dealer told you then it is a guess. I believe all aftermarket t/c's are painted, Precession and ATS are purple, Suncoast are grey. Stock are bare steel. I do not believe any of the aftermarket ones have a drain plug. The stock 99-early 2000 had a drain plug.