gonna get me one.

sassyrel

Reaction score
also--you said it reeked of cigs--take a 1/2 lb of new coffee--put in a pie tin--set in CLOSED window vehicle --in hot sun--1 day later--voila!!! dont ask me why---works well for farmers trucks that reek of hog smell also--dont ask--and i aint a farmer--

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
all of the obs trucks miss around 2200 something to do with the pcm not seeing enough boost for the fuel curve at that rpm so it takes a second to smooth out then it will run on up

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
all of the obs trucks miss around 2200

Mine didnt when it was stock, and it doesnt now that it is modded.

If the truck is missing at 2200 rpm, its either a fuel delivery problem (insufficient fuel pressure/plugged filter) or it is high pressure oil related which could be several problems..... injector o-rings, ICP sensor, IPR valve or just a weak HPOP.

If it is a shudder at 2200.............it could be other problems.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Looks like there is a spot of something on the passengers side rear wheel well along with a couple rips in the drivers seat.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
thanks russ but i did find that one already well wendy did but i saw the rust. seems the truly rust free ones are going for higher than blue book. i'll be searching heavily. may consider a cummins but not till i exhaust my ford options.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should buy a truck from Florida or Texas....plenty of PSD '94-97s here, and I bet they aren't all super high just cause they're rust free.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Rob,

JD has a very good idea. It cost me about grand all totalled to bring mine up from SW MO. What we ended up doing was driving the mini van down stay at a hotel half way then renting a u-haul trailer to bring the mini van back on. I had just short of a grand in meals, fuel, and rental fees.

I too wanted a rust free truck but could not find one locally or remotely close... Just ask tons of questions then don't hand over the final money until you see the truck in person. Heck and if it's Florida or something make a vacation out of it...

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Mine didnt when it was stock, and it doesnt now that it is modded.

If the truck is missing at 2200 rpm, its either a fuel delivery problem (insufficient fuel pressure/plugged filter) or it is high pressure oil related which could be several problems..... injector o-rings, ICP sensor, IPR valve or just a weak HPOP.

If it is a shudder at 2200.............it could be other problems.

I know of 4 OBS that when you rev it up it has a cough to it and I'm sure that theres nothin wrong with at least three of them and I read countless post about it from new truck owners cause it will smoke a little when it does it and they think somethings wrong I guess you got the one of the odd balls that don't or your talking about running at 2200 rpms and I meant just reving it up :confused:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
just to clarify, the one i drove had a miss at 2200 rpm both in park and while driving. (other one was so beat i didnt bother driving it). a buddy of mine has a '97 PSD and it revs smoothly to redline in park. i guess if a miss is "normal" i may be barking up the wrong tree. not looking for a payment on a truck that dont run smooth. maybe i should hold out for the Super Duty body style. they have the newer intrecooled PSD dont they.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
well if it had a miss just driving down the road it had something wrong and to clarify all our trucks can rev smoothly to redline unless we just stomp them to the floor and then they have a little hickup and then it goes away

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
I know of 4 OBS that when you rev it up it has a cough to it and I'm sure that theres nothin wrong with at least three of them and I read countless post about it from new truck owners cause it will smoke a little when it does it and they think somethings wrong I guess you got the one of the odd balls that don't or your talking about running at 2200 rpms and I meant just reving it up :confused:
No, I mean sitting in Park in the driveway. No miss, no stutter, no stumble.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
well i did stomp it to the floor. when i did that it would rev up to about 2200 rpm and hover there and belch light blue smoke. didn't think to try it at partial throttle. i know with my IDI if i floor it it will sputter off the governer but if i give it partial throttle i will rev to the governor smoothly and sit there screaming bloody murder.

either way that XL wasnt running right and while driving it i decided i wanted more do-dads like you get in an XLT.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
69oiler said:
just to clarify, the one i drove had a miss at 2200 rpm both in park and while driving. (other one was so beat i didnt bother driving it). a buddy of mine has a '97 PSD and it revs smoothly to redline in park. i guess if a miss is "normal" i may be barking up the wrong tree. not looking for a payment on a truck that dont run smooth. maybe i should hold out for the Super Duty body style. they have the newer intrecooled PSD dont they.
A miss isnt normal. Hold for a SD if ya want, they are good trucks too and have a few more ponies than the OBS trucks did. But I think if you look around the road while your driving you'll see an awful lot of folks that drove/drive the Gen I PSD and are happy campers.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Rob,

Guy I work with here in the shop has a 1997 Crew Cab Dually 2x4 that he wants to part with - pretty decent shape 192k on the clock - still all stock. Runs like a dream. Brand new rubber all 6.

Ifn' ya want I can get some pictures of it... Don't know if your stuck on the 4x4 aspect but thought I would mention it...

It's basically a mate to The Enterprise (White with a blackish/grey fiberglass topper)... not a mate in the respect of it actually runs...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.