Gear Vender?

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO i have a chance to get a Gearvendor OD out of an 88 ford f-250. I'm pretty sure i know the answer to this question but, will this OD work with my 85 with a C-6. I'm guessing no.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I assume the 88 is an overdrive automatic, which means you would need an adapter change. Might want to check on price, if you can get a good deal on it, you might be ahead, but I believe the adapters are quite expensive.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume the 88 is an overdrive automatic, which means you would need an adapter change. Might want to check on price, if you can get a good deal on it, you might be ahead, but I believe the adapters are quite expensive.

I'm not sure on the price yet. It's an auto sorry shoudl have put that first. What adapter is it i would need?

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What trans is in the 88? If it's a gasser, it could be an AOD or a C6 (or a manual of course). If it's a diesel it will be a ZF5 or C6.

It's a diesel, auto not sure on if it's a AOD or C6. also has a intercooler, ats turbo. Wants $2000 or will part it out. Leaks oil from somewhere. Just found it thought it mit be worth looking into for parts for my 85.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called him he wants $800 for the GV with cut down driveline.He said he was pretty sure it was a C6 since it didn't have a OD. The intercooler ended up being a trans cooler.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gear Vendors

Go to GV web site thay have some application infomation.
4x4 87-97 w/ C6,T19or ZF with a 1345 Transfer case all the same.
83-87 3/4 and 1 ton pick ups with BW 1356 all the same.
Check out the site .
John

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If they are both C6, auto and the same driveline (2WD or 4WD), I would think it would work but would think you could contact the manufacturer for sure.

$800 is a good deal if it is in good working order.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $2k for the whole truck w/ diesel & GV, you could take what you need sell a few parts and end up with the gear vendors for free... That's what I would do.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Whoa nellie, 2K? Buy the whole thing for chrissakes.
You need to find out if the truck its on is 4wd or 2wd. The GV will swap over with the right parts, but you have to remember, the GV bolts onto the back of the transfer case. The '85 has the BW1345 while the' 88 has the BW1356. I don't know what the difference is between the tail housings on those 2 TC's, but i'd be surprised if they were the same. I would call Gear Vendor, they will be more than happy to help. If you do need a differnet adapter, last I heard from them it is around $300 with a required EXCHANGE of the adapter in your possession.
Seriously, if you have the extra scratch, use your noggin and buy the whole truck. With the intercooler and the turbo, you won't have any problems getting your money back. Just remember to offer 'em here first.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
For $2k for the whole truck w/ diesel & GV, you could take what you need sell a few parts and end up with the gear vendors for free... That's what I would do.
Whoa nellie, 2K? Buy the whole thing for chrissakes.
You need to find out if the truck its on is 4wd or 2wd. The GV will swap over with the right parts, but you have to remember, the GV bolts onto the back of the transfer case. The '85 has the BW1345 while the' 88 has the BW1356. I don't know what the difference is between the tail housings on those 2 TC's, but i'd be surprised if they were the same. I would call Gear Vendor, they will be more than happy to help. If you do need a differnet adapter, last I heard from them it is around $300 with a required EXCHANGE of the adapter in your possession.
Seriously, if you have the extra scratch, use your noggin and buy the whole truck. With the intercooler and the turbo, you won't have any problems getting your money back. Just remember to offer 'em here first.

Buy it and be happy!!!!!!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second the "I pitty the fool who don't buy this truck for the turbo and GV unit" Mr. T crowd.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i can't get it if anyone wants the info to it, let me know.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Oh, just saw the bit about there not actually being an intercooler. If you're not interested in the GV, I bet someone around here is, especially at that price.
Kris K- I bought my truck in Alpine, Utah just up the hill from you and my sister and her family live in Orem right at the bottom of the canyon. I've been out there many times. Thats an awful pretty state.

dualexhaust

Reaction score
I live in Lehi Utah, just 10 minutes from Orem...
By the way there are (2) 6.9's for sale real cheap here locally on the ksl.com classifieds ($600 and $400) if someone is needing some engines....