I Need the fuel pump drive gear

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be worth buying engine`s to tear down for the obsolete parts we need.
Not all old engines are wore out, could be a old truck with low mileage.

wonder if a good certified welder could add material and then turned on a lathe.

Goat

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder if a good certified welder could add material and then turned on a lathe.
First you need to determine what kind of material it is made out of...if it is cast steel...probably can blow new metal on it...and then turn it down...if it is compressed powdered metal...well...IPSKI could tell you if it is weldable...but my guess is no...

Knowing International...it probably is a good type of metal...but investment casting got popular around that time...cheaper than forgings...

There are a lot of forms of welding at this time...but you have to find someone with the skills and equipment...

I was going to suggest taking the old part to a machine shop that builds parts from scratch and have them carve one out...

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the additional part numbers. I thought about bringing the part to a machine shop or someone who regrinds cams. I actually purchased a new old stock cam and associated eccentric off eBay when I realized other sources were dried up. I really did not want to go electric pump. The beauty of the old diesels is their simplicity.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was going to suggest taking the old part to a machine shop that builds parts from scratch and have them carve one out...
That's a possibility. The guy who lives on the south side of my garage owns a machine shop. The first one wouldn't be cheap. Individual ones wouldn't be cheap. A group buy would be much cheaper since there would be one time of set up for the whole batch. I don't think I'll even bother to ask him unless there would be a fairly large demand.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried about having to re-harden it. I imagine it would have to be hardened so the fuel pump arm wouldn't chew it up quickly?

I thought about asking a friend of mine who owns a machine shop what he'd have to charge.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd be worried about having to re-harden it. I imagine it would have to be hardened so the fuel pump arm wouldn't chew it up quickly?
I don't know. I'm no machinist or metalurgist. I guess it would depend on what material it was made out of. Surely they could be made out of a hard chromoly type of alloy and wouldn't need to be hardened.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A group buy would be much cheaper
I am in for at least two...if they are made of a hard enough metal to not generate chips in the oil....or...if they are case-hardened at least as good or better than the original...

IDIBRONCO
hard chromoly type of alloy....

that would need to be finely ground...not turned on a lathe...the harder the metal...the tougher it is on tooling...

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in for at least two...if they are made of a hard enough metal to not generate chips in the oil....or...if they are case-hardened at least as good or better than the original...

My machine shop friend stopped by today and we were talking, I mentioned it. Tomorrow he's going to take the one I have and get the hardness tested and hopefully give me an idea what it would cost to run a batch.

It's nice having friends in the right places LOL

I'll let you guys know what I hear.