Garrett Turbo ID

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Accumulating parts for a turbo setup on my school bus. Finally found and bought a rayjay manifold a few months back and started finding and figuring out a turbo to run on it.

So, I was browsing facebook and craigslist and found a garrett turbo with a t4 divided and wastegated turbine housing for 100 bucks. I was told by the seller it was a gta3782 off a dt530, but it didn't have the ID tag on it anymore. Having no idea what turbo I should get for the thing, I figured for 100 bucks, this would be a good enough starting point to try.

He also threw in another t4 undivided housing that has 1.11ar cast into the housing, and said it would swap over, but I haven't verified it.

Anyways, I finally got around to disassembling it and was curious if anyone could help me ID this thing. The compressor wheel measures 58.93/82.05mm with the turbine wheel measuring 76.07/67.35mm.

I found specs for a gta3782BD http://www.invasionautoproducts.com/intrgt18tu.html

It was used on 2003+ navistar DT466, DT466E, and I530. The picture looks like what I have, but the numbers for the compressor are close, but not for the turbine. The numbers for the compressor are 59.2/82.04mm, which compared to my measured 58.93/82.05mm, I'd say could be right. But the turbine wheel numbers are 72.72/64.06mm, which isn't close to 76.07/67.35mm.

Looking at more turbo's on that site and I came across a gt4082 http://www.invasionautoproducts.com/naingttu463.html

It was used on 1994-03 navistar dt466e, and I530. No picture on there to compare, but the numbers for the turbine seem on, but the compressor isn't close. Compressor numbers are 60.22/82.04mm, compared to my 58.93/82.05mm. The turbine numbers are 76.1/67.7mm compared to my 76.07/67.35mm, which imo would be close enough to work.

Anyways, I've looked at enough turbo specs to give me a headache for the day. I'm hoping one of you guys has a solution to ID'ing this thing. I can take any and all measurements that would be needed too. I don't think that someone would have frankenstein'd this thing out of multiple different turbos, but who knows. And my help request sent in to garrett was pretty much a waste of time. So, what do you guys think?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not going to not work if you put it on, but its really far from ideal for a number of reasons, I dont know what your goals are for performance or boost levels, but that compressor wheel flows pretty close to a standard stock factory turbo cold side which is pretty small already for our engines. The biggest issue is the hot side, with it being a 1.1ish AR, a t4 flange and the larger turbine wheel, its not going to be spinning the cold wheel very well so you will likely end up with less boost than the factory turbo with a much slower response.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not going to not work if you put it on, but its really far from ideal for a number of reasons, I dont know what your goals are for performance or boost levels, but that compressor wheel flows pretty close to a standard stock factory turbo cold side which is pretty small already for our engines. The biggest issue is the hot side, with it being a 1.1ish AR, a t4 flange and the larger turbine wheel, its not going to be spinning the cold wheel very well so you will likely end up with less boost than the factory turbo with a much slower response.

Yup, I agree, it's definitely not ideal. But for 100 bucks, I think I'll try it.

That hotside with the 1.1 ar I referenced was an extra that was included. I don't know what the ar is for the one that is currently on it. I'd say being waste gated though, it would be on the smaller side.

Goals aren't that high honestly. It's a 6.9 with stock bolts, so I'm not looking for 30+ psi of boost or 300 hp. Running down the road now, it's blows smoke when you're full throttle. If I could do something to clear that up, lower the egt's, and put a little pep in it's step in the process, I think it would be golden.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828