Block Serial ID

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you didn't mention is the number size. The restamped numbers are too large to be factory numbers. Our engines' serial numbers also didn't start out as "7.3L".
I agree, these not lookin like the codes on my 6.9 block and 7.3 engine. If I recall correctly, is 7.3D for the beginning, right?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you didn't mention is the number size. The restamped numbers are too large to be factory numbers. Our engines' serial numbers also didn't start out as "7.3L".

Maybe, but I can't think of a single reason to surface the block in that spot.
You are correct. I didn't mention it.

I did notice it but in the end forgot to mention it.

:)

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's never gonna be for sure now unless he blows this one up but the oil port by the filter housing is 1/4 and has a goofy reducer to 1/8th for a plug. Guessing they didn't have a 1/4 plug that day. Was also setup to have a turbo drain. These are stout enough for a factory turbo either way and he got a good enough deal on it where it wasn't a big ordeal in the end.

Now the big ordeal will be installing it. I've pulled 1 engine and it was in a car. He's done this before with a straight six. He's got a huge engine hoist also that looks 70 years old so it might not bend like the hobo freight ones.

I have not a lot of motivation to help but I'm sure I'll end up helping, lol. Stuff like this seems to happen for a reason and 6 months later its your turn, might as well learn in case.. as I stare ominously towards my trucks in the driveway..

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe they surfaced the block,
Maybe, but I can't think of a single reason to surface the block in that spot.
Surfacing the top doesn't make any sense to me either.
Someone removed the factory number and restamped a new one.
Gentlemen, gentlemen.... if...that block had been decked and/or the heads had been surfaced...it would have changed their location in relationship to one another...and on a 'V' engine...the intake ports and bolt holes are not going to line up like an untouched factory block, heads, and intake setup until you mill the top surface to lower things so that they will line up correctly...

Not trying to be a you-know-what-....but after some pondering...this just hit me...

Yes...I could be wrong and if I am...well...won't be the first time...

Just my .02....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, is 7.3D for the beginning, right?
Generally yes. 6.9 or 7.3 and then DU2U is how most of them start. TU2U is a Turbo block. Of course then you can also have DM2U with either 6.9 or 7.3 in front for an International application.
the oil port by the filter housing is 1/4 and has a goofy reducer to 1/8th for a plug.
Well there's your answer. It's not a Turbo block because, as far as I know, all Turbo blocks had a 1/4"NPT port there.
Now the big ordeal will be installing it. I've pulled 1 engine and it was in a car. He's done this before with a straight six. He's got a huge engine hoist also that looks 70 years old so it might not bend like the hobo freight ones.
Don't worry. It's NOT as big of a deal as most people on here make it out to be. These are very simple engines, without a lot of wiring to disconnect. Yes they are big and they are heavy, but it's not like you're trying to use a come along or something.
Gentlemen, gentlemen.... if...that block had been decked and/or the heads had been surfaced...it would have changed their location in relationship to one another...and on a 'V' engine...the intake ports and bolt holes are not going to line up like an untouched factory block, heads, and intake setup until you mill the top surface to lower things so that they will line up correctly...
This will be stretching the old fuzzy memory, but I don't think so. If you surface the decks on the block enough for the intake bolt holes to not line up, the solution is to surface the mating surfaces of the intake manifold do that it will sit lower. It's not the "lower" part that gives issues with intake alignment, but it's the "narrower" part. The holes (and ports) on the heads do sit lower, but they also sit closer together. One more thing, if someone surfaces the decks enough that there's intake alignment issues, there will also be piston to valve clearance issues on our engines.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are very simple engines, without a lot of wiring to disconnect.
One more thing, if someone surfaces the decks enough that there's intake alignment issues, there will also be piston to valve clearance issues on our engines.
This is why I tap into the 'Brain Trust' that is available on here...a good answer..!! Thanks for explaining all of that....

Not to derail the thread...but the wiring thing reminded me of the first task a tractor dealer gave me as a fresh hire...I suppose it was a 'sink or swim' job to see if I had any skills...

A fairly new kubota svl-95 (tracked skid steer) needed a complete wiring harness and they (the dealer parts department) had gotten one for it and it was sitting in front of me in a box.

The head mechanic looked at this FNG and figured he was going to see what this guy was all about....he tapped the box with his foot and said..."do you think you can install this...?"

I was going into this cold...never worked on a kubota, not familiar with any kubota other than the engines in bobcats and no one told me where the manuals were kept...and the pressure was on...

Dpf and regen system on this sumbish and all of the other computer crap that makes these machines troublesome...

I figured out how to get the old one out and laid it out on the floor and compared the new one to it...something was not right....

The boss (not middle management...but the top dog other than the Patriarch) cruises by to see what I was doing...

I told him that they needed to get the 'right' harness...this one was wrong...he was incredulous...but looked to see what I was talking about..."This harness is missing these wiring connectors here and these wires there..." Remember...this is my first day on the job...

Took two weeks...to get the 'right' one....plenty of time to erase the fresh memory of how it came apart...

Another box came in....laid it out and compared it...good this time...and got 'er dun'....

You know how life sometimes is like a coin toss...? You don't have a crystal ball on a lot of things...and in retrospect you sometimes wonder why you didn't do things differently...?

I asked the head mechanic what he would have said if I had tapped the box back with my foot on that first day and said...."Get me the RIGHT wiring harness first, why don't cha'..."

Imagine what would have happened if I had just assumed that the first box had the right harness in it..? gone ahead and put it in...?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Sure appear to have been re stamped, probably a rebuild from way back.