Garrett t3/t4 turbo assembly

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Calling all turbo gurus.
What's the trick for getting the new oil rings loaded back into the housing without screwing them up?
Got them onto the shaft and the thrust collar ok, but when trying to stuff the exhaust side in I managed to screw that one up -cuss . Got to run by a turbo shop tomorrow and pickup another ring.
The housing is tapered a bit , I had it all greased up with lubriplate, looked like it should stuff in, obviously, I was wrong.

Also, does that exhaust side ring go in the grove closest to the wheel? It's got the flat cut in the bottom so I assume that's the one. Should have taken pictures :rolleyes:

Thanks--------Robert

high psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the seal goes in the groove closest to the wheel. As for getting it in the housing, I usually hold the housing compressor side down, put the heat shield on top of the housing, slide the shaft through the bearings so the seal ring is just sitting on the edge of the seal bore's taper, then spin the wheel and while it is spinning give it a gentle smack with your hand, it will usually pop right in at this point. If not sometimes you have to get creative with two small screwdrivers and compress the ring while pushing down on the wheel. On a t3/t4 the first method almost always works.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I picked up an extra ring just in case I mess up again :eek: Looks like I overexpanded the last one when putting it on. Probably why it tore up instead of going in.. Won't make that mistake twice, not at $5 a ring .