Fuel Filter Before the Mechanical Pump

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
I have a powerstroke truck with a suction rated water separator/filter before the electronic fuel pump. I would like to do the same thing with my IDI truck. Is the mechanical pump strong enough to suck fuel through a filter? Filter in question is a Baldwin BF1212 or Wix alternative.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It should be able to do this. I have a cheap inline electric pump (only for emergencies and filling new fuel filters) plus an inline filter in front of it. Mine has no trouble pulling through them. Now things could change when I install a turbo and the fuel demand goes up. Hope this helps, it's my only comparison.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking up the Baldwin specs I'd say it's not a problem at all:

Flow Rates:
210 GPH @ 1 PSID
300+ GPH @ 3 PSID

Other Specs:
Capacity in Grams: 32.4
Filtration: 4 micron @ 86% / 20 micron @ 99%
Burst Pressure: 150psi
Collapse Pressure: 100psid

210 gph @1PSID is like 8 times the rated throughput of that mechanical pump. But at the same time our lift pumps are only rated for 4psi so if you lose 1psi thats 25% of your fuel pressure. I would keep and eye on that pressure BEFORE and after install to know for sure how it affects your system.

As for "is it strong enough?" :D Its mechanically driven off the engine-- itll pull until it ruptures the diaphragm, it doesn't have a choice! :angel:

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
That's great news. I think I'm going to go forward with this. My thinking is it will good to have as I'm adding a 95 gallon aux fuel tank in the bed and with condensation it will be good to have a little more water blocking and filtration in the system.

Just want to make sure it doesnt starve the system. I like staying mechanical just for reliability reasons but I can move to electric if I need to in the future.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Let us know how you like the aux tank. I can imagine what it would be like to have to pay to fill it though.:cry:

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
lol That's the one part I dont like.

Part of the reasoning behind the tank is I'm making a lot of my own fuel at home. I figure if I can fill it with home brew the capacity will save me a lot of money on the road. Ive been running my home brew in my trucks for a while and I am very meticulous at how I clean it and store it.

I'm planning a 2000 mile trip soon so I know I will get to feel the hurt at the pump then for sure.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

Part of the reasoning behind the tank is I'm making a lot of my own fuel at home. I figure if I can fill it with home brew the capacity will save me a lot of money on the road. Ive been running my home brew in my trucks for a while and I am very meticulous at how I clean it and store it.

I'm planning a 2000 mile trip soon so I know I will get to feel the hurt at the pump then for sure.
Good thinking there.;)

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon

What kind of fuel you run? Bio, WVO, or WMO?
I haven't hardly run any in my rig since I stuck this '94 IDIT engine in couple yr ago, but I've run lots of it in the past on my other rigs & other engines.

I currently have a 135 gal homemade bed tank I use that I have to take out a bank loan to fill. LOL

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
My IDIT Loves straight Veggie oil... been running it since I got the 94 7.3 with 128,000 miles on er in 2011.
It now has 336,200 miles on it and just changed the Injectors with
R&D stage 1
R&D Air Intake
R&D Billet Fuel Rails
Upgraded the Stock Garrett Turbo by the Wes Paul at Classic Diesel Designs
and just sent him my Injector Pump because of leaky seals to work some magic on that thing to pump more fuel and Vitton Seals.

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
I actually make all three. Mostly now days I run the WMO in the IDIs and save the bio for the duramax and VW TDIs. I run multiple gravity flow heated centrifuges for the WMO and for the WVO I run it through a gravity flow heated centrifuge and then have a BioPro 190 that does the biodiesel conversion work for me.

I like the sound of that 135 tank. I want as big as I can get with a small incorporated toolbox and it cant interfere with my 5th wheel hitch. I ended up with an RDS 72745

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/auto-auxiliary.html

Like you I am also running this with a 94 IDIT

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
Hi Rob. Mine is far from stock as well.

Got the following items from R&D

Stage 1 injectors
90 Injection Pump
Stage 1 Turbo with wastegate set to 35psi
Cold air intake
Stage 1 cam
Head studs
Ceramic coated pistons
One piece fuel rails

Other than that I also did the following

Ceramic coated the exhaust from the manifolds through the turbo all the way back to the end of the transmission
Intercooler
Filters everywhere for everything lol
Balanced the rotating assembly
40,000 GVRW trans cooler
and still going.

Its a very strong truck to say the least.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Rob. Mine is far from stock as well.

Got the following items from R&D

Stage 1 injectors
90 Injection Pump
Stage 1 Turbo with wastegate set to 35psi
Cold air intake
Stage 1 cam
Head studs
Ceramic coated pistons
One piece fuel rails

Other than that I also did the following

Ceramic coated the exhaust from the manifolds through the turbo all the way back to the end of the transmission
Intercooler
Filters everywhere for everything lol
Balanced the rotating assembly
40,000 GVRW trans cooler
and still going.

Its a very strong truck to say the least.
Video or it didn’t happen!

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
:Thumbs UpDid your R&D Air intake fit right ?
I swear mine was too short and a muffler shop welded another 3 inches on the end so the filter wouldn’t fall off all the time.
Right now it is getting powder coated a cobalt blue along with the new steel Injection Lines.
Will post pictures once I get the Injection Pump back from Wes at Classic Diesel Designs and Calvin puts it all back together

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
Video or it didn’t happen!

I will get you video as soon as I can. I have the interior out now getting new foam installed in the seats and installing radio equipment. CB , HAM, and Amp/Subs

Here's a couple pics of the engine as we were dropping it in. You can see the black ceramic exhaust manifolds and the aftermarket turbo. Also the intake and fuel rails. The downpipe wasnt done when the pic was taken but is now. I had a place here locally do my exhaust and so far I'm very happy.

Here's the place that did the work for me.

http://hmsperformancecoatings.com/

You must be registered for see images attach

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
:Thumbs UpDid your R&D Air intake fit right ?
I swear mine was too short and a muffler shop welded another 3 inches on the end so the filter wouldn’t fall off all the time.
Right now it is getting powder coated a cobalt blue along with the new steel Injection Lines.
Will post pictures once I get the Injection Pump back from Wes at Classic Diesel Designs and Calvin puts it all back together

LOL I am still fooling with it actually. But the answer so far is not yet. I think I'm going to have to modify the air box a little. Will get pics of the finished product when I'm done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828