New Mechanical Lift Pump...

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just one more thing to consider, before assuming it's the pump, next time the light comes on disconnect the fuel line at the pump and apply compressed air back into the tank ( remove fuel cap first). Reinstall the line and see if the light comes on. Since you have ran wmo, there's a chance the shower head is clogged.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thought, next time the light comes on flip to the other tank. If the light goes out, it's likely a clogging issue.

Reactions: Clb

BenP38

Reaction score
that is interesting. thank you all.

BTW I do use a centrifuge, and while I am not paying crazy attention to viscosity, it is something I pay attention to. I have 3 diesels. 89 350 crew cab, an 89 250 extended cab, and a 90 GMC Suburban with a 91 Cummins in it. The 250 I do have a fuel pressure gauge in it, and I don't seem to see much difference with pump diesel vs WMO, BUT if it is cold out the truck doesn't like the WMO as well. So far I have mostly just run the WMO in the summer which works fine.

Now I will throw out something that I have not looked into deeply and is maybe crazy- haze anyone considered adapting the second gen Cummins piston pump for the IDI? The 1st gen uses a diaphragm pump similar to the ones used on the IDI. One of the upgrades for the those that have the VE pump on the 1st gen is to switch to the higher flowing piston pump. It requires a spacer and a different spring to lower the pressure to be safe for the VE pump seals. It runs on the cam same as the original.

BenP38

Reaction score
Catbird-
that is a very good idea and frankly makes a lot of sense with my issues. And it doesn't like to run less than a bit over 1/4 tank either, which I have heard can be the shower head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online