Exhaust leak/valve train noise??

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was putting the rollback to work last night. I drove from my house about 20 miles, picked up a car and dropped it off back at the house, then proceded to make a 60 mile one way trip for another. Got the second loaded and on the way home I started hearing a tap-tap-tap or a tick-tick-tick noise. It runs up and down with engine speed. I was only 4-5 miles from home so I stopped, got out, checked everything, all looked good so I drove it on home and parked it. Now I am worried that its either a top end noise or an exhaust leak, the latter being the best option IMO as I am looking to put a hypermax or dynomax N/A exhaust on it anyways. But back to the question. Has anyone had any issues with valve/rocker/pushrod/lifters? It sounds like a loose rocker on a gasser or possibly an exhaust leak. Sometimes it will stop completely, others its very bad. Its only on the drivers side as far as I can tell. If you let it idle will will get less noticable the longer it sits. The only other thing I noticed is it seems to run better...??? Maybe a big enough leak to releave some backpressure?? Its got 40 miles of small exhaust tubing...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I have the exact same thing happen as you, but usually it's on the passengers side (sometimes the drivers side too)

My logic tells me that it's a crappy injector (or multiple crappy injectors) acting up. I've got over 130k on the injectors, so i'm trying to get some new ones in and see if that helps.

At least thats what I REALLY want to think is making the noise:D

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could be also. Its weird, it comes and goes, it does it more than not, but its very possible that its an injector hanging. It just started out of the blue, 65mph been running 2250 rpm for the last 55 miles, then its starts making a noise. I am more into the gas engines, but I work on a lot of diesels and it sounds like a spark plug wire arcing near my feet.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
If you question the injector yank it and stuff in the other bank and see if the problem follows. But yes an injector can make a ticking sound.

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called my old teacher today and he didn't answer, but I know he has a pop tester. I might just pull all 8 and get them tested, replace the bad ones and reseal the others. Maybe 4 at a time, but either way I have to fix this...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could also be a broken valve spring, check before much more driving.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you question the injector yank it and stuff in the other bank and see if the problem follows. But yes an injector can make a ticking sound.

Sure can, and I've noticed the addition of two-stroke oil to the fuel actually helps with the "tick"! ;Sweet

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
This has been informative for me, too. My engine sounds like a watchmaker's shop, what with all the ticking. I'm doing new injectors soon (I hope) and I'm gonna make a vid w/sound of it before and after.

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this was my first couple tanks of fuel through it since I bought it. I have no clue what the PO was running in it but I didn't add any additive to it. I can get the Motorcraft Anti-Gel and the Cetane booster. Which one would y'all recommend? or both? I hope it clears up so I can atleast drive it this weekend and buy another parts truck that has a brand new set of injectors in it.

Also, is there any difference between 7.3 IDI and 6.9 IDI injectors?? I called a diesel reman place and priced 6.9 injectors and they were approx 60 a peice and my teacher said he had bought some about 8 months ago for his 7.3 idi for approx 25 a peice.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At one time we had lots of differant injectors for these motors. I found the BB code injectors run the best... The G code turbo injectors just can't fuel as well as the BB injectors. I tried two differant sets and finally made a matched set of the G... They sure are a poor injector. I bought a set of BB injectors from Typ4 here. They are great powerful injectors. Price was right too...:sly Injectors usually last for around 100,000 miles as does the injection pump. I'm running Stanadyne Performance Formula in every tank ful of fuel.I use 4 oz per tank.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use lucas fuel injector cleaner it lubes well and gives a mad cetene boost enough with the stroker crank that you notice it big time
but id bet injector you can use most anythign but ususally all you can find anymore is bb and g either way if you get a reman from a parts store make sure theyre all the same because theyll reman bb b and ab?(the early 6.9 one) to the same and the gs to another it suks

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I drove the truck 8 miles today, no ticking until the last 1/2 mile, it started again. I bought a can of Ford/Motorcraft Cetane booster/performance improver. I will try it out and see I can get any improvement.