Electric fuel pump

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of the pumps I show need a return line.

I tossed the stock filter in favor of a two micron Racor.

The only filter related light I recall is the one that indicates it is dirty. The IP is capable of pulling a vacuum from the fuel supply system, but it is not supposed to. If the IP does pull a vacuum, it is because there is a restriction, and the switch closes and the light lights. I kept the switch and light.

At least twice I have driven off with the supply pump not running and the engine did not seem to notice. The IP pulled fuel thru the filter and idle supply pump.

Here are a couple bolt companies.

https://www.flangebolts.com/
https://www.boltdepot.com/Flange_bolts.aspx?nv=l
That's good to know man, thanks. The bolts, I would like to buy but the process is fun, I need to just buy the Caswell solution and not use my own vinegar solution lol. It may clear up if so but, it's still fun, and they're still plating

David Canada

Reaction score
I put a durolift on my right before the fuel filter. didn't have any trouble out of it, but today i move it back by the front tank and had it push to the front and it seemed to be better so far.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a durolift on my right before the fuel filter. didn't have any trouble out of it, but today i move it back by the front tank and had it push to the front and it seemed to be better so far.
I'm mounting mine back on the frame, I hope I have the same experience!

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now try pulling a hill loaded with the pump off...

I never expected it to pull a hill, and was not claiming a supply pump is not needed. It was in the context of the restricted supply system warning light. The point is, the IP has the ability to pull much more than we might think. I drove off normally up to 50 MPH on flat ground with the pump off. And the van weighs 9K#.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably missed a lot. Nice!

On the subject of fuel pumps, I use a three way toggle switch that will run the pump when there is oil pressure, always, or never. The first mode is normal. The second is for testing, flushing and can help starting. The third is for running other things when you don,t want the pump running.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never expected it to pull a hill, and was not claiming a supply pump is not needed. It was in the context of the restricted supply system warning light. The point is, the IP has the ability to pull much more than we might think. I drove off normally up to 50 MPH on flat ground with the pump off. And the van weighs 9K#.

Absolutely
I don't think it's a biggie as I ran with the light on countless times and at length...
Did it hurt it (i.p.)? Probably
The thing never missed a beat.
To bad genlightning did not vett these things longer before posting up tho...

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the first few pics. That is a two micron Racor filter before the pump. That pump has been supplying the engine for about fifteen years. There is no return line, no need.

The vehicle is an 84, it shipped with a 460, and never had a mechanical pump.

https://goo.gl/photos/LJNV4esgmYmSzKdL8

This is a similar setup on my PSD. It is the same 2 micron Racor filter, a pump that maintains 60# in a regulated return system, and a thirty micron filter to catch busted pump parts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GsWfPtEjr3w29Sq89

Off topic, but I couldn't help but notice the three fans in the PSD pic, what are they cooling?

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but I couldn't help but notice the three fans in the PSD pic, what are they cooling?

It used to be an airport/ hotel bus. It had two complete AC systems. That was the condenser for the rear seating area. That system was inop when I got it. The condenser is now the trans cooler. It is the only cooler. Fluid does not go thru the engine radiator. There is a standard Ford oil filter before the cooler.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It used to be an airport/ hotel bus. It had two complete AC systems. That was the condenser for the rear seating area. That system was inop when I got it. The condenser is now the trans cooler. It is the only cooler. Fluid does not go thru the engine radiator. There is a standard Ford oil filter before the cooler.

Cool!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle