Electric fuel pump

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think maybe I just answered my own question... Don't run it through the filter head just straight back to the stock return line?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good call. Though I'm not sure that's a thing with just a mechanical. Definitely a thing with an electric behind the mech.
Even without an electric pump in the circuit, the membrane can fail, and diesel can be pumped into the sump.

The membrane only has to leak, and some of the fuel is going to go through the membrane as the pump works. It doesn't have to be all the fuel. Some, is enough. And you might not even know it is happening until it's too late.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think maybe I just answered my own question... Don't run it through the filter head just straight back to the stock return line?
Correct.
Nobody is deleting the return lines. Just the return to the filter head. Which is fine.
If you look at the back right in that picture, you will barely see a brass looking thing. That is a tee, which feeds the factory return line.
As I mentioned a aftermarket regulator, they would need a dedicated return line, because it would essentially pressurize the return line system. A lot of fuel would be coming from the regulator.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@79jasper fantastic. That's what needed to know. I'll block the one in the factory housing and run the lines just like they are in that picture which goes back to that factory in line brass tee.
So just to clarify the rest I'm connecting the supply line to the factory filter housing on the frame, out to the epump (walbro 13-2 with built in regulator) on the frame, to the ip, no problems there right?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, so putting it through the filter head will cause a restriction? How would it cause a restriction back on the frame and not on the engine? I know these are probably stupid questions but I've never built a diesel, I've always built gasoline engines. Also, reading about this stuff, I've found where people have deleted the return lines, how do they do that without a problem? I didn't want to do that, just curious how they do. I saw this engine in the picture, I believe on this site and thought I'd do my return this way and connect back to the factory line. Will this work?

You must be registered for see images attach
I really like the tee at the IP. (Instead of just plugging the line that would have gone to the filter head.) I wouldn't have thought of that.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I go against the grain on one thing....the bleed line from the top of the filter mounting head.I did not remove and plug this. The way I see it, the bleed is to remove trapped air from the filter. Any air bubbles that develop then have an exit path pre injection pump. Without this bleed port trapped air will have to exit through the injection pump. Folks pay $750 and up for an Airdog to do a similar job, though a bit more sophisticated. My thoughts, several disagree.
Regarding moving the filter.. just keep all the functions the same. In from electric pump goes to in. If using the Walbro we were discussing no pre pump filter needed.Out goes to injection pump inlet. The return from the filter bleed line, the return from the top of the fuel pump and the daisy chain coming from the injector return caps all end up going to the return to tank line.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go against the grain on one thing....the bleed line from the top of the filter mounting head.I did not remove and plug this. The way I see it, the bleed is to remove trapped air from the filter. Any air bubbles that develop then have an exit path pre injection pump. Without this bleed port trapped air will have to exit through the injection pump. Folks pay $750 and up for an Airdog to do a similar job, though a bit more sophisticated. My thoughts, several disagree.
Regarding moving the filter.. just keep all the functions the same. In from electric pump goes to in. If using the Walbro we were discussing no pre pump filter needed.Out goes to injection pump inlet. The return from the filter bleed line, the return from the top of the fuel pump and the daisy chain coming from the injector return caps all end up going to the return to tank line.
But you'll want your bleeder to be the highest point of the fuel system won't you?

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yes that is a new problem. Now the fitting on the top of the pump is the highest. But.... the filter still has a tendency to collect air dou to its calming nature on the fuel.
So you think there should be a bleeder in both locations?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Advantage #4. An electric pump will never have a membrane fail and fill your sump with diesel.

I bought into this once...
Think on it... Pump quits, dumping fuel into engine(I posit nothing going into i.p.) Thus eng dies...
You gotta do a pump, how big a deal is an oil change in comparison???

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it the pump is already bleeding back through the return but I’m not sure I want to do without the top of the filter one though. Still visualizing.....
I was just going to put a brass tee inline on the firewall before it goes to the injection pump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle