Electric fuel pump

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do tell???
What bad report's??
What model?
Boy... I'd have to go look again lol. That was 6 months ago probably! I believe I just searched best diesel electric pumps. I saw more than a few sites that said they don't last long. The facet was the one I saw most people agree was good, I could've definitely been wrong but I think it was a magazine like diesel power or something

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok
Perhaps you might read our numerous fuel pump threads.
Seeral big shops furnish fuel systems built around a red or black...
We would like to see qualified issues with holley.
Looks like the mech. Pump is still the clear winner tho.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok
Perhaps you might read our numerous fuel pump threads.
Seeral big shops furnish fuel systems built around a red or black...
We would like to see qualified issues with holley.
Looks like the mech. Pump is still the clear winner tho.
If I get time today I may try to find them. I have had suggestions lately about putting the electric favet cube inline and keeping the mechanical pump also... I don't know, the whole point for me was making things easy to replace later and keeping things simple. I feel like having my whole fuel system under the truck makes things simple.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duals have been covered, needs a check valve.
read up save some grief...
just tryin to help save another guy watching the dash light fire off.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Buy the time you buy 2 pumps, etc you could almost get a bigger pump and run a external regulator. You would have to run a dedicated return line though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the advantage of an electric Fuel pump? Pros and con
@Clb this is one of the ones talking about quality of these pumps. Oddly while reading through all these, they're on this forum

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only 3 advantages(that I can think of) to an electric pump:

1: Prime the fuel system without cranking the engine.
2: Longevity vs the chinesium aftermarket lift pumps. So far I have not heard many people complaining about actual Ford lift pumps failing, if they are out there they are quiet! I recently got a Ford unit for $30 on Ebay, they are still out there. Works great and stays between 4.5-5.5 psi all the time regardless of engine load or RPM.
3. If you're smart when installing, in the event of a failure the epump is WAY easier to replace in the field than the mechanical.

The disadvantages of an epump are:
1. Custom install vs OE but let's face it the OE lift pump is a PITA to get to with the fan shroud on.
Install includes a relay and wiring, usually some extra fuel line and good spring clamps. Making sure you use/make waterproof connections is imperative.
2. Costs a lot more to get an epump with the GPH and then add a regulator to make it consistent under all load conditions vs mechanical. And of course when it fails, it costs a lot more than the mech.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest advantage to me is priming after opening the fuel system (filter change). The second advantage is reliability - I guess the mechanical pump could last a long time but I have learned to hate aftermarket crap. The cost difference for a POS aftermarket vs a marine grade pump was worth it to me. It's also a hell of a lot easier to service the electric, plus it is easy to disable the truck (theft proof).

I have been making my truck as bulletproof as possible. Vacuum pump deleted (went hydroboost), electric fuel pump, upgraded Powermaster starter... I think the last frequent-failure point on my engine is the damn belt tensioner. I started to build my own but got lazy. Probably regret that this weekend on the way to fishing 3 hours away.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mblaney i was on one of your fuel pump threads while you were on mine haha. I think I'm going to sell this facet and get the walbro, alot because of the reliability of marine stuff, but also because of the built in regulator. I'm so stuck on this, I haven't even began to think about a bleeder or this return line situation, what is all the hub bub about the return line. Can't you just run the lines on the injectors into a loop and straight back to the stock port on the stock fuel filter housing that I have moved back to my frame? From there, I'll just have a short return from the housing back to what's left of the factory return line.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2: Longevity vs the chinesium aftermarket lift pumps. So far I have not heard many people complaining about actual Ford lift pumps failing, if they are out there they are quiet! I recently got a Ford unit for $30 on Ebay, they are still out there. Works great and stays between 4.5-5.5 psi all the time regardless of engine load or RPM.
3. If you're smart when installing, in the event of a failure the epump is WAY easier to replace in the field than the mechanical.

1. Custom install vs OE but let's face it the OE lift pump is a PITA to get to with the fan shroud on.
Install includes a relay and wiring, usually some extra fuel line and good spring clamps. Making sure you use/make waterproof connections is imperative.
2. Costs a lot more to get an epump with the GPH and then add a regulator to make it consistent under all load conditions vs mechanical. And of course when it fails, it costs a lot more than the mech.
Yea man, I'm ok with the cost and install lol, it all seems worth it to me!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh purty much nailed it!
Marie gear gets a :Thumbs Up from me, given it lasts and fits the criteria.
I have the original 1993 mech. Pump taken outta mine at around 40k, about 2 yrs ago... Still works and is going back in when I get time!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Advantage #4. An electric pump will never have a membrane fail and fill your sump with diesel.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The injectors nor the injector pump can have any restriction in the return system. It will affect the timing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I see, so putting it through the filter head will cause a restriction? How would it cause a restriction back on the frame and not on the engine? I know these are probably stupid questions but I've never built a diesel, I've always built gasoline engines. Also, reading about this stuff, I've found where people have deleted the return lines, how do they do that without a problem? I didn't want to do that, just curious how they do. I saw this engine in the picture, I believe on this site and thought I'd do my return this way and connect back to the factory line. Will this work?

You must be registered for see images attach