Dead in the water again

BOB ROGERS

Reaction score
FUEL PUMPS

YOU KNOW THESE PUMPS HAVE A SHELF LIFE LOOK ON TOP OF THE BOX THERE IS A DATE CODE THAT IS IN JULAIN CODE DAY OF YEAR HTEN LAST TWO CODES ARE THE YEAR OF PRODUCTION THE FEDERAL MOGUL/ CARTER FUEL PUMP REP TOLD ME NEVER TO PURCHASE A FUEL PUMP THAT WAS MORE THAN A YEAR OLD AND THAT HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME..I HAVE ALWAYS STUCK WITH THAT WHEN I SELL THEM AND IT SAVE GREIF.TO ME AND THE CUSTOMER.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
very glad you made it ron! i just got up and the first thing i did was check to see if you made it. you all are making me nervous about lift pump now. geez! all i wa worried about was my flywheel til i met all you guys!

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
it almost seems as if Mel needs to design a Moose lift pump! there ya go... food for thought!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> THERE AIN'T NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MECHANICAL PUMP <<<

For what it's worth, the ORIGINAL factory-issue mechanical lift-pump is still on my old half-a-million-mile rode-hard-and-put-up-wet 1985 6.9 IDI I-H.

It seems like I did have to replace the outlet line on the lift-pump on account of it developing a crack and leaking-fuel/sucking-air.

So far as electrics are concerned, I have enough Holley REDs, BLUEs, and BLACKs around here that I am not at all impressed with them; they are okay to fill up a bucket or prime the system, but I would never trust one to propel the truck.

The good CARTER electrics that pass the fuel around the motor are quite a bit more trustworthy; but, like I have already stated numerous times, I would run TWO pumps plumbed in parallel by-pass fashion. ;Really

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YOU KNOW THESE PUMPS HAVE A SHELF LIFE LOOK ON TOP OF THE BOX THERE IS A DATE CODE THAT IS IN JULAIN CODE DAY OF YEAR HTEN LAST TWO CODES ARE THE YEAR OF PRODUCTION THE FEDERAL MOGUL/ CARTER FUEL PUMP REP TOLD ME NEVER TO PURCHASE A FUEL PUMP THAT WAS MORE THAN A YEAR OLD AND THAT HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME..I HAVE ALWAYS STUCK WITH THAT WHEN I SELL THEM AND IT SAVE GREIF.TO ME AND THE CUSTOMER.

If the pumps you speak of are VANE pumps, then that shelf-life is probably due to humidity flash-rusting the vanes and rotor; nothing a little cleaning/polishing won't cure. ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will have to give Ron some time to recover before we hear anything new.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I called him at Noon today, figured he might be up and about by then, He was. He will be looking for a spare electric pump to go on his transfer tank and have the extra one to make it home from his family reunion camping trip. Should be about a 3 hour trip home for him tomorrow and he goes right by my shop and home so if anything happens I have his back.

Sounds like he may be considering a Cummins,...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yup, resting comfortable in Claire Michigan today trying to get things back to a normal visiting with family that I haven't seen if years.
Once home Goldie will be a guinea pig to some fuel system upgrades to accommodate the increased fuel flow that the Moose requests.;Really
But with a full plate of work in the shop, chasing dogs and 2012 rally prep, a good deal of it will be r&d.:D
So the trek home tomorrow will be uneventful.;Sweet

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Yup, resting comfortable in Claire Michigan today trying to get things back to a normal visiting with family that I haven't seen if years.

So the trek home tomorrow will be uneventful.;Sweet

Sounds like some great therapy Ron... You deserve some "Uneventful downtime"!!

Glad you made it back to MI!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the update. Ron... Your a trouper thats for sure. Have a good rest of the trip home. you know hitting the sheets in your own bed is going to be priceless. I remember leaving tulsa with a horse that had a high temp. Hoping the other 7 didn't get sick too. Well 28 hours later of non stop driveing with just me driving we were home and the horses were fine. Then it was another 2 hours till I got in bed. I really only recal my head touching the cool pillow... It was like I just died right there that moment.... Good luck and keep looking forward... ;Sweet:sly

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Ron,
So sorry to hear of your fuel issues. I hope some good, relaxing downtime with your family helps with your perspective.
At least you don't have a long drive to get to next year's rally!
( Others should pay heed--hosting the rally does have its advantages.)

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Thanks guys yup will be heading home tomorrow in the final leg of the trek. Getting to bed after 1 this morning felt great after being on the road most all day yesterday.
Tomorrows trek will be less stressful as will be in convoy with with my parent and will be driving by Darrins shop if needed.
This is one trip that has been eventful to say the least.
Next year will be good and looking forward to it!;Sweet

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
There was an old Chinese curse, " May you live in interesting times."
The IDI version would be " May you have an interesting trip".
I would prefer to wish you a boring drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online