Dead in the water again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ron... Really sorry to learn of this roadside breakdown. There is nothing you could have done to prevent this type of failure. Glad your up and running again. I would like to suggest replacing the new nappa electric with a transcold carrier pump. Knowing how well they pull fuel from under a semi trailer and be able to darw it up around 11 or 12 feet is impressive. Look at those semi cold trailers you are passing on the road. See the refrig unit up high on the front of the trailers. Then look at where they suck the diesel from to run those engines for the cooler. Its way back behind the spare tire and chains rack under the trailers. Those electric pumps have a clear removable bowl and a stainless steel filter screen in them. They will work better than anything out on the market or transcold wouldn't trust them on the cold storage trailers. I know this is after thought but use it for the future too. theres no deneying the mechanical lift pumps give us lots of trouble free miles year after year. But a simple electric lift pump upgrade makes a dry tank or a filter change easy on the batteries and starter. Glad your running again.... P.S... Put a spare carrier pump behind the rear seat.. That'll make you feel good inside....:D:angel:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Ron... Really sorry to learn of this roadside breakdown. There is nothing you could have done to prevent this type of failure. Glad your up and running again. I would like to suggest replacing the new nappa electric with a transcold carrier pump. Knowing how well they pull fuel from under a semi trailer and be able to darw it up around 11 or 12 feet is impressive. Look at those semi cold trailers you are passing on the road. See the refrig unit up high on the front of the trailers. Then look at where they suck the diesel from to run those engines for the cooler. Its way back behind the spare tire and chains rack under the trailers. Those electric pumps have a clear removable bowl and a stainless steel filter screen in them. They will work better than anything out on the market or transcold wouldn't trust them on the cold storage trailers. I know this is after thought but use it for the future too. theres no deneying the mechanical lift pumps give us lots of trouble free miles year after year. But a simple electric lift pump upgrade makes a dry tank or a filter change easy on the batteries and starter. Glad your running again.... P.S... Put a spare carrier pump behind the rear seat.. That'll make you feel good inside....:D:angel:

I'm not disagreeing that those facet pumps arent durable. I was gonna order two from genlightning but they don't exactly like the mix of stuff i call fuel.

I would rig up some check valves so i could have both when it comes down to changing filters but ive been lazy.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Dang Ron sorry tohear about the trouble. Glad to hear you're going again. You weren't too far from me again.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
with all your fuel issues maybe its time for a huge electric motor and a bed full of batteries?? glad to see youre going again.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP RON!! That really sucks! I just got of the phone with Dad. I'm planning my attack on the crew cab in the am. Hope the rest of your trip is trouble free brother.

God Speed DslDogCatcher!

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with ron. He is now in MI but long way to go. Water temp and egt high. Can barelt maintain 55. Fuel flow inadequate by my assesment. Still on vacation here.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well its time to slow down and save the truck. No reason to push it tilll it breaks. The low fuel flow could very well be a reason for the issues at hand. Might be time for more modifications to the fuel system. As a last resort the mechanical lift pump could be returned to service just to get around town with if transportation was an issue...

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Glad you got it going again... Take it as easy as you can...

That Holley Blue is still available, if you want to use it..

Keep us updated... We're still pulling for you, even if Goldie isn't!!!!!!

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Sheesh, just now saw this...glad you made it thru Ohio. If it wasn't for bad luck you have no luck on this trip! Best of luck getting Goldie fixed up right.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> THE COOLANT/EGT PROBLEM <<<

The situation now reads more like a lack of intake air problem, rather than lack of fuel.

More fuel in the cylinders usually means higher EGT; less fuel yields lower EGT.

EGT are also in direct relation to coolant temperatures, as the fire in the cylinders is what makes the heat in the first place.

Sustained high EGT will really make the coolant temperature climb.

I would check for either an intake or an exhaust obstruction.

The lack of fuel problem may very well just be coincidental to whatever is causing the EGT/coolant problem.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> THE LACK OF FUEL PROBLEM <<<

We were recently discussing a possible modification that would be the end-all to all fuel-delivery problems; a genuine mechanical piston-lift-pump.

However, that colt is still loose in the woods.

That being said, as dirt-cheap as electric delivery-pumps are, I simply would not trust the long-distance propulsion of my truck to only one electric-pump.

It is ridiculously easy to install TWO electric-pumps, side-by-side, both plumbed, wired, and at the ready, just waiting for the flip of the switch to call them into action.

Myself, I have the mechanical piston-lift-pump as the main fuel-delivery pump; AND, I have a Carter electric-pump plumbed into a by-pass line, such that it can be called into action at the flip of a switch.

If one is gonna toss a spare electric-pump behind the seat, why not just spend a few minutes and plumb it in --- by-pass fashion ??

It has been my own observation from disecting numerous swap-meet Holley vane pumps, such as the REDs, BLUEs, and BLACKs, plus the many clones that are screw-for-screw a Holley but carry a different name, that the electric motor is seldom the problem.

Rusted vanes are usually the culprit.

Rusted stuck bad enough, they can over-heat and burn up the motor.

But, usually, what happens is the vanes get a haze of rust on them and, when the pump rotates within the eccentric, it pushes the vanes down in the slots, where the haze of rust prevents centrifugal force from being able to sling them back out.

Dirty fuel will do the same thing; a glob of "algae" or chunk of grit will jam a vane in it's slot; next week, another bit of crud jams another vane; a few weeks later, a fourth vane gets jammed, leaving only one vane still in action.

It is a simple matter to open the pump and clean the vanes and slots.

Many is the pump that has been discarded when all it needed was a simple cleaning.

I know none of this helps the situation of being stranded; but, the implementation of these suggestions will prevent lack of fuel being the cause of any future problems.

Carry on. :)

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I have made it to my destination for the night and beyond tired. 14.75 hours for a 10.75 flight is a little long. Thanks for the prayers !

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I wonder if you have algae in your tanks. I had that problem on one truck,it would plug up the pickup in the tank and starve for fuel. The temporary fix was to blow air backwards thru the fuel line and dislodge the gunk. The real fix would have been to drop the tanks and clean them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger