Another Dead 1986 Bronco, similar to Jesus Freaks dilema

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello ya'll. Fist time post on this gas forum long time follower and poster on the diesel side. Like the title says, I purchased a 1986 bronco, no start. Verified all i can think of. Fuel pressure is 39psi. Has spark, no start. I used a water bottle with fuel to squirt in the throttle body and it stays running til fuel is out. Verified timing. Changed filter and frame high pressure pump. I can hear a whine when ignition is on from the rear for 2 sec. My next approach is the in tank pump. Thanks in advance for everyones input and advise.

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@XOLATEM we may have found your electrical issue.

I would check for injector pulse first. The fuel pressure should be 40-45 psi. I wouldn't think 1psi low would cause it to not run. I'm not for sure what actually triggers the injector pulse on these, I believe it is the ignition pickup coil but I could be wrong about that.

James

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After i replace the intank pump just for peace of mind i will replace the pickup coil. Sorry forgot to mention this has been sitting a long time. Previous owner does not know how long

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is a long shot....... and weird, but it really happened. My wife's firebird (KITT) sat for 6+ yrs before I got it. I got everything perfect but it just wouldn't run. By everything I might add that I did a new fuel cell, filter, and cleaned the lines out. BUT the fuel system was so full of crud that the injectors were level full of rust and bad fuel stuff. I had to pull the injectors and tediously back wash them........twice, like i got it running and then I had to do it again. It ran like a sewing machine after that. So maybe, just maybe your fuel can't get through the injectors. This ethenol fuel is really tough on a fuel cell, I'd definitely pull the tank for good measure even if you get it running without initially having to pull the tank. And YOU BETTER SEND SOME PICTURES OF THAT FINE BRONCO!!!

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking the same in the far back of my mind it may be the injectors also. I just may replace instead of dealing with them trying to clean them and avoid working twice or maybe three times. Im gonna look for the newer updated injectors with better spray patterns.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check to make sure you have an injector pulse before you start throwing parts at it. But two clogged injectors is a definite possibility.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed this thread in the list of similar threads while I was posting on the tow truck thread............I sure hope he got that bronco back together.......... If not I sure hope he'll sell it to me on the cheap since it ain't running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online