Cam swap

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

How hard is it to do a cam swap? I will have the truck all tore down this summer getting repainted and wanted to know how much work is entailed in doing this...

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Via All-Data:

Remove ENGINE as described in this section.
Remove injection pump and adapter, intake manifold, valve lifters, engine front cover and fuel supply pump. (Also the valve covers, rocker arms and pushrods. If you've neve rbeen in one before, the lifters have a special retaining system comprised of a sheetmetal spider and some other pieces which are bolted into the valley area of the block itself.)Remove camshaft drive gear, fuel supply pump cam, spacer and thrust plate from camshaft. (don't do this step just yet if you plan on removing the shaft by hand) Remove camshaft using camshaft bearing set tools T65L-6250-A and Rotunda 14-0314, or equivalent. ( Removing the camshaft using a special tool is not required and can be done very easily by hand. Just be extremely careful because it takes almost nothing for the machined surface edges of the cam lobes/journals to cut you wide open. A few shop rags are your friend.)
Reverse procedure to install. Lubricate camshaft lobes with DOAZ-19584-A grease, or equivalent(basically assembly lube), and the journals with clean engine oil. Tighten camshaft Allen bolt to specifications.

I've made my own additions above in parenthesis and red.....

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to pull the engine....BUT, you will have to pull the radiator, ac condenser and grill at the very least to do it "in-truck".

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is a long job but.... When your done.... :sly I personally would not do it in the truck. Removing the engine allows you to work on it very easly. In a stand you can egt up close and work comfortably around the engine. And you can replace the oil cooler o-rings along with the front and back crank seals... If they are leaking. At no time should you install an oil pan gasket. The factory used RTV and it just simply works great. A cork or rubber gasket will leak no matter how you install them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online