bumper cutouts ?

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to decide since Sunday what to do and looking for some opinions.

Saturday, I found out that the factory 95 plastic bumper opening trim would be just over $180 plus tax for the three pieces. :eek: So I skipped the factory thing and just cut out a 4" x 10" center and a 4" x 8" on either side of the center one.

So now the problem, with so much talk by others of over heating, I am considering increasing the height to 7" for all three openings. I have a 2" receiver hitch tube running almost directly behind the current openings, hence the desire to increase the height. However, bumper strength is a concern with so much cut out. Even if I go with the smaller openings, there will be no changing it later since I will be boxing the openings with 1/8" x 3/4" flat bar. So once it's welded, it is done.

So go small (which is still larger than the factory 95 openings) or go really big and risk having a weak bumper ???

I forgot to mention, the truck has a +99 intercooler and transmission cooler.

Last edited:

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going bigger :D

Will have to use some bigger flat bar to frame the openings for strength reasons. Also going to install some expanded steel across each opening to keep the critters out.

Pictures to follow

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
JPR said:
Going bigger :D

Will have to use some bigger flat bar to frame the openings for strength reasons. Also going to install some expanded steel across each opening to keep the critters out.

Pictures to follow

If you are going to make aftermarket modifications...........ALWAYS make it look different than the next guys! That is what really makes your own truck stand out in a crowd. ;Sweet
In other words definitely go bigger with the holes and make them look even cooler than factory!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you thought about getting the aftermarket trim pieces?i used them on my 94 when it hit a tree.i think they were 15-20.00 each for the end pieces and 30 for the center piece.probably too late but its an idea

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was not sure where to start looking for the after market ones.

This photo was earlier today. Before dark, I got the six holes drilled and the center opening cut out with the air grinder.

The notch at the bottom of the center opening is for the receiver hitch.

Attachments

• Front Bumper 1.JPG
    Front Bumper 1.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 5
  • Front Bumper 2.JPG
    Front Bumper 2.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Front Bumper 3.JPG
    Front Bumper 3.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
JPR said:
I was not sure where to start looking for the after market ones.

This photo was earlier today. Before dark, I got the six holes drilled and the center opening cut out with the air grinder.

The notch at the bottom of the center opening is for the receiver hitch.

Looks good so far! ;Sweet Those holes are for lights? If they are it will look really good at night! :thumbsup:

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No lights planned at this time. With half the radiator and i/c below the grill, I am trying to get more cooling.

Just added the third photo the earlier post. I had to go pick up some wider flat bar so I did not get much done this evening. The 1/8" flat bar will be ground to follow the bumper contour. Hope to have it done and painted before the weekend is over.

Here is the latest photos. I have the receiver hitch bolted in place for one last look before sanding and painting.

Attachments

• Front Bumper 4.jpg
    Front Bumper 4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Front Bumper 5.jpg
    Front Bumper 5.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Front Bumper 6.jpg
    Front Bumper 6.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last of the photo's for those interested.

Transmission cooler is still looking for a home. It may go under the cab floor with an small electric fan.

Attachments

• Front Bumper 7.jpg
    Front Bumper 7.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Front Bumper 8.jpg
    Front Bumper 8.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Jon, that came together really nice. Good work! If you lived a little closer I'd be over this weekend so you could help me tweak on mine. Good Job!

bgfire

Reaction score
Nice job, that looks really nice. I will be doing the same to mine when I do the Intercooler install next spring.

Bill

ramon f350

Reaction score
Jon that looks really good you did a great job on that one. hopefully I will have some free time and we can get together again soon I have just been running in about a hundred differtent directions lately.

Ramon