Where to buy a turbo bumper cutout insert

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This the cuts I made in my bumper to fit the vent I got from the yard...

You must be registered for see images attach

Then I drilled to mount it permanently, with washers to space it out...

And this is the aftermath, I also cut out the ribs at some point so can also serve as a step.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One mod I’d like to do someday is swap out my bumper for a later model super duty bumper like the one in this pic. Several companies make conversion brackets, and at least in my area take-off bumpers are pretty easy to come by. Lots of air flow on these.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So.... For the other half of the crowd, what do ye with bricknoses and bulls do for the bumper that has less curve to it?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So.... For the other half of the crowd, what do ye with bricknoses and bulls do for the bumper that has less curve to it?
Well, I have a Bull… brand new radiator. Doesn’t get hot. Gonna install an intercooler before too long, Hypermax makes a kit and I have a Hypermax turbo so I think that’ll do the trick.

Gonna make a big brush guard bumper replacement, was thinkin of making a cutout for air to the lower part. Haven’t decided for sure how yet.

Others with hotter setups would probably have better things to say

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a curved bumper can still work on a bricknose, it will just stick out more in the center. Like this (not my photo):

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Josh you ever get some things figured out? Some pics of what I did. I used my plasma to cut holes, inserted my inserts in, then used short screws to thru inset and behind the bumper. It has held for yrs ok.
Could look better….. especially if you don’t hit a big nasty bull elk like I did!!!
I also took pic of how i spaced my bumper and cowcatcher out and mounted my radiator overflow tank and windshield washer tanks down behind the bumper.
Hope pics come thru ok.

Attachments

• 989235F9-2F5C-4325-88CC-FA7187CFE97D.jpeg
    989235F9-2F5C-4325-88CC-FA7187CFE97D.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20A921B6-80C4-4116-A212-09DC6098508C.jpeg
    20A921B6-80C4-4116-A212-09DC6098508C.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 13
  • C527BD10-80C8-4101-B135-C7A421630EA0.jpeg
    C527BD10-80C8-4101-B135-C7A421630EA0.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 13

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh you ever get some things figured out? Some pics of what I did. I used my plasma to cut holes, inserted my inserts in, then used short screws to thru inset and behind the bumper. It has held for yrs ok.
Could look better….. especially if you don’t hit a big nasty bull elk like I did!!!
I also took pic of how i spaced my bumper and cowcatcher out and mounted my radiator overflow tank and windshield washer tanks down behind the bumper.
Hope pics come thru ok.
Haha...late reply, but no, I didn't do anything with her yet. Thank you for the pictures and encouragement. I've been a little lazy on these things lately! But unless a turbo bumper gets dropped in my lap, I'll be doing a similar thing as you. Buuuuut, I don't have a plasma cutter. So grinding wheels and a face mask it'll be. :fight:

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I for years ran a psd bumper cutout on a brick nose, never noticed much difference in the way of temp readings, but I also know it can't hurt to have more air flow. I also was not regularly hauling at max weight to be able to compare readings that way.

If getting hot when towing, you need more airflow. Switch back to the mechanical fan.

I sell an upgraded 9 blade fan that moves an incredible amount of air, with more than double the surface area of the stock mechanical blade.
If that isn't enough for you, I also sell an electroviscous fan clutch conversion kit, that gives complete control over when the fan clutch comes on. it is coolant temperature based via a probe in the head, and has a controller that is user adjustable. With AC it kicks the fan on at 60% duty cycle and the option of a user supplied input for a 100% on switch as well.

It will stay cool with those upgrades.
One of my customers with just the 9 blade fan and a good working mechanical clutch hauls his 15k 5th wheel in Arizona. 6% grade ac on 85° ambient temps And does not get above 233* coolant temp. (way better than the 265* he was seeing before, don't know how he didn't melt it down).

he then bumped boost from 7 psi to 11, non intercooled saw a 150* drop in egts sustained while towing and that dropped him to 225* on the same grade.

So my suggestion is first thing is I would get coolant temps down with a mechanical fan and then I would intercool to bring egts down and allow you to use the power you have

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86