Looking to get into an IDI -

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
That's nuts.
I want to sleep in the truck bed under a camper shell while on the road or camping. I'd like it to be as off-road capable as possible although I'm not looking to go rock crawling with it - just want the flexibility. I'd also like to use it as a work truck down the line if I get a piece of property I want to personally develop (build a small cabin). I may need to use it to tow a small "tiny house" to the property so I can live out of that while I build.

I found a 1985 6.9 IDI (naturally aspirated), long bed, Explorer (4x4), F-250 single cab, automatic transmission, 73k miles - one owner - no rust that I could see anywhere and has a bunch of recent work...

He's asking 15.9k for it...
Is this a crazy price or is the market just nuts right now?

Thats nuts. Or at least his valuation is primarily attached to the condition and low miles. Its still a basic std cab truck without overdrive. Probably has the odd-ball 3.07 axle ratio too and the lighter-duty Dana 44 front end as customary on the std cab 250's.

I can sleep in the back of my dodge/cummins 4x4 too, and it was $4500. Extended cab and built like a 1-ton (Dana 60 front axle & iron transfer case). I much prefer the 12-valve cummins over the IDI and PSD. (Had both previously.)

If I had to have a Ford, it would be a 93-94 IDIT 5-speed, or do a cummins swap.

avant_oil

Reaction score
u2slow, tell me more about this Dodge...I've heard nothing but good things about the Cummins. And I like the idea of the Dana 60 front axle since I do plan on taking it off-road (nothing crazy, but still).

Also, update: the owner called and said he changed his mind and doesn't want to sell it now. Guy is nuts - I'd steer clear if you come across it one day unless you want a massive headache just from dealing with him, let alone any actual truck issues.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I think a lot of us on this site have IDI's that we bought for less than $2,500.Especially when it comes to a standard cab,I bought my 87 6.9 t19 4x4 SCLB for $1,700 and it's a solid truck.You can get a really, really nice truck for 5 or 6k with low miles.There are much better deals out there IMHO.I don't think I would ever pay more than 6k for a creampuff.The only truck that I think is worth that kind of money,would be a factory turbo,CCLB,4x4,zf5,with low miles.And chances are,unless the truck was complety restored,you will have the same common problems as my $1700 truck.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I feel with all the mods you have over my rig, with a bit of tweeking you could get more.
I don't really have a lot of mods. Only 3.55 gears, a ZF5, and a set of headers. The Ex Wife isn't running yet and won't be for quite a while yet. I feel that the biggest single thing that will increase my mileage over what it is now is going to be when I remove the radiator fan and install an electric fan.

avant_oil

Reaction score
Farmer Rock, when did you buy your IDI and is it in decent condition? I'm still looking for a 6k really, really nice truck. I actually found a 1987 6.9 4x4 w/ a C6 for 6k with badly oxidized paint but the only rust I could see was on the tailgate. It, supposedly, has but everything else looks good. Might need new tie rods. I'll keep you posted.

avant_oil

Reaction score

Rock, thank you. I've been looking at Craigslist and AutoTrader (and Bring a Trailer every once in a while) but never even thought to look at Facebook marketplace since I don't use Facebook. That could be a really good resource.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rock, thank you. I've been looking at Craigslist and AutoTrader (and Bring a Trailer every once in a while) but never even thought to look at Facebook marketplace since I don't use Facebook. That could be a really good resource.
Check out offerup too. Its an app or online and people use it a ton. I found more IDIs on there than any other place. Just watch out for the messaging because it tends to not send notifications so you will have to check frequently

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3310860442364377/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/992864831182847/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3320565698065368/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/266739024441233/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3419353774791679/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/339144317450091/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
These^^^^trucks are within 500 miles of Pheonix Arizona,I apalogize if they are way to far,but I am not sure exactly where you are in Arizona,and they should at least give you an idea.There are a couple in there that are overpriced,but this is mostly to show you they are out there.The blue truck with the c6,4x4,turbo and gear vendors,seemed like a pretty good deal though.

I don't use facebook except for marketplace,and I didn't start until recently,when I got to wondering why I had so much trouble locating trucks/tractors,so I asked a few friends,and they all told me to look on marketplace,and as soon as I did,I realized all the vehicles I couldn't find elsewhere,where right there on marketplace,and I should have mentioned,that is where I found my truck.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd have to buy the 1984 OBS truck. It has to be a VERY early release and must be worth a fortune!:rotflmao
Honestly, for me, it would be a tough choice between the OBS with the flat bed or the crew cab Bull Nose.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Sorry,I just realized you asked about my truck.It is in what I consider great shape for the age,and the interior is flawless,which is what really hooked me.,and it has brand new $1200 tires on it,new starter,new IP,new injectors,brake controller,air shocks,strait axle up front.There is more than $2,000 in new parts,so I made at least $300.It has 200k miles which is about average for these trucks.Don't be afraid of miles on these things.

Rock

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
u2slow, tell me more about this Dodge...I've heard nothing but good things about the Cummins. And I like the idea of the Dana 60 front axle since I do plan on taking it off-road (nothing crazy, but still).

What would you want to know?

Wish I'd got into these engines sooner. I got introduced to diesels with the 6.2 & 6.5 chevs, and then moved onto Fords - IDIs and 7.3PSDs. Finally bought a '90 3/4-ton Dodge (cummins 2wd/5speed)... I needed a commuter and had to experience what the hype was about. Sold. Never went back. Sold my Fords and got 4 more 89-93 cummins trucks over the following 7 years. The Dodge wrapper is not of Ford, or 87-older GM quality, but it is manageable.

Dodge used the mechanical cummins engines (12-valves) from 89-98. IMHO, the manual transmission is the only the way to go. Dodge always built their 4x4 diesels on par with their 1-tons. The robust Dana 60 fronts were used 89-93. (i.e. kingpins and leaf springs). The best equipped 1stgens are 92-93. The features, power, and ride improved in the 94+ trucks, but quality did not. The newer truck is a difficult package to work on compared to older, simpler trucks, and doesn't age gracefully. (Wrecked out a few 94-96 trucks along the way).

The matter of intercooling, injection pump type, and what turbocharger are largely insignificant. They really don't affect the reliability or characteristic of the engine. Certain jewelry is of course better for making power. Lots of write-ups exist on putting newer stock parts on older engines for power upgrades.

There isn't a lot of 12-valve cummins activity here.... more in places like ramchargercentral, dieseltruckresource, and cumminsforum.

Hit me with a PM if you have more questions.

Oldfrogdiving

Reaction score
Just my .02, I have an 89 F250 just rolled over 70K miles, runs great body shot out about as much as mine is (pretty bad) maybe has 2-3 more years, mechanical very good condition but I maintain it. I use it for going back and fourth from Florida to Arkansas Its got a camper shell old school Aluminum its comfortable to sleep in with my ECWS bag on a shelf I built in back of bed and my dogs I removed the pax seat as we have been going back and fourth alot and i could sleep in there but thats generally where my dogs crash, I tend to carry lots of tools, it gets about 17mpg in city and about 19mpg hiway its a 5 speed, its comfortable speed is 67 fast enough for me. I traded a rusted out 78 CJ7 for it i have been happy with it. My PSD box tuck continues to defy me even though it only has 110K miles on it it was hard Fairbanks AK miles but we have become intimate. If your looking for mercedes level mechanical inexpensive operation stick with a Idi PSD ae way more expensive to fix, be patient there out there. Good luck. Im looking for a 4x4 too swap my low mile IDI into and id fix the slight oil cooler leak.