Bla bla bla

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey growing up I thought those belts were the coolest things ever. Plus they were kind of ingenious at the time to meet the newer safety standards.
They were cool until they failed. And you still had to put on the lap belt separately. So when the motor failed, you had to buckle up twice every time you got in. And if you crashed, you had to unbuckled twice, as well.

I'll admit that was before my time, but I came across older cars that still had them. Usually with broken motors. IIRC, it was a compromise between automakers and regulators to avoid having to install front airbags in every vehicle. At the time, only higher end cars had them.

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it fixed not as easy as some made it out. It has three bolts, one stuck stud broke off. To get the cable off, I had to get some slack in the cables underneath the truck, which was rusted badly and had to use some heat. The emergency brake pedal and mechanism need more them wd40 to break everything free, it was also rusted. But thanks for those who gave constructive help.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI... Auto Zone part #C1247 in my above post worked just fine.
While installing I had some serious concerns as it's some 5' shorter vs the OE front cable.
Also, I used a graphite cable lube that 'dries' on all moving brake pedal assembly parts... everything is working like new.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey growing up I thought those belts were the coolest things ever. Plus they were kind of ingenious at the time to meet the newer safety standards.
I hated those sons-a-beech's...I was always getting myself caught up in them when I put a car on the lift and tried to get out...(asymetric lift)

Generally I dislike a car or truck doing anything for me automatically... I want to decide when and how to do something...not some clueless and excitable little engineer...

How about those sons-a-bushes that TALKED to you..? They should'a at least hired some Devushka with a smooth voice to tell you that your gate...uh...door was open.....

That reminds me...I have been wanting to tell you guys that I have re-named The Girl Truck....it is now....THE NAG...

The effing thing has a bad battery in one of the TPMS fixtures...I am using the word 'Fixture' because the freaking microsoft system is contantly trying to prompt me with word suggestions....ANOTHER STUPID THING....I can type just fine...DANGIT..!!!

Anyway...the tire monitor battery must be low and the signal is not getting to the receiver...so...the darn warning display is constantly nagging me to put air in the tire....

She says she just ignores it...I want to put some black miracle tape over the display....I already unhooked the driver door speaker to silence the door chime...worked....and she did not notice it for weeks...hahaha...

This is one reason that I love my truck...it has manners...it respectfully waits for the Boss to instruct it...not jumps around and does stuff just to get attention....like some kid that didn't get a good whoopin' when he/she really needed it...

Just my .02

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hated those sons-a-beech's...I was always getting myself caught up in them when I put a car on the lift and tried to get out...(asymetric lift)

Generally I dislike a car or truck doing anything for me automatically... I want to decide when and how to do something...not some clueless and excitable little engineer...

How about those sons-a-bushes that TALKED to you..? They should'a at least hired some Devushka with a smooth voice to tell you that your gate...uh...door was open.....

That reminds me...I have been wanting to tell you guys that I have re-named The Girl Truck....it is now....THE NAG...

The effing thing has a bad battery in one of the TPMS fixtures...I am using the word 'Fixture' because the freaking microsoft system is contantly trying to prompt me with word suggestions....ANOTHER STUPID THING....I can type just fine...DANGIT..!!!

Anyway...the tire monitor battery must be low and the signal is not getting to the receiver...so...the darn warning display is constantly nagging me to put air in the tire....

She says she just ignores it...I want to put some black miracle tape over the display....I already unhooked the driver door speaker to silence the door chime...worked....and she did not notice it for weeks...hahaha...

This is one reason that I love my truck...it has manners...it respectfully waits for the Boss to instruct it...not jumps around and does stuff just to get attention....like some kid that didn't get a good whoopin' when he/she really needed it...

Just my .02
It seems we share the same hate for computers…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Nope. If it doesn't sound like KITT, then I don't want it talking to me. I'm talking about Michael Knight's KITT, not Jesus Freak's KITT.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I always speak in serious tones!!!!~
I don't know why you'all trying to fix the E-Brakes or worried bout auto-matic belts......
My solution:
Just tie a 50# rock to a 30' piece of rope, loose end of rope needs to be tied to steering wheel. Come E Brake time of day/trip roll window down, grab rock, take deep breath & heave rock out window, grab steering wheel with both hands & HANG ON!!!~!

As far as the auto-matic belts thingie......just keep your pocket knife sharp........
Always cut belts off as close as possible to attachment point.
If cut belts are on a customer's car then roll eyes, shrug shoulders, & quickly walk off.
LOL LOL LOL

As far as correct "fix" ways I'll take that up tomorrow, OK?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always cut belts off as close as possible to attachment point.

That could be why that escape tool was marketed....the one that will supposedly cut the belts..? Maybe it was intended for more usage than just escaping from a wreck...?

Might have to get one and check how good the metal is and see if it holds an edge...

ttman4....you are brilliant...you just gave me an epiphany...

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed my e brake assembly and the pencil points to the area
You just reminded me that I need to fix the switch that lights up the red BRAKE light on mine....I bought a safety switch to adapt to it...but have not gotten to it...too busy with other stuff...

Now I gotta find where I put that switch...

But I appreciate the nice picture of the E-brake assy.

By the way....WD-40 has its place...you put it on something that is rusted...before you hit it with a torch....so you can see the nice smoke curls...and smell the stuff burning...

WD-40 is good for getting something loose...

But...as far as actually lubricating something so you don't have to mess with it time and time again...?

I have better luck with Fluid Film...

Another just my .02

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good GPS voice over? Alan Rickman,
I liked him as the bad guy in 'Last Action Hero'....not so much in Galaxy Quest...

I guess it depends on whether you want to be told what to do by some verdamnt englander who thinks they are more clever than most or some other voice that is looking to distract you so they can pick your pocket...