Behold, I am now a Dually.

DragRag

Reaction score
We put the Dana 70 H.D. rear end out back with the old school coined dually wheels with new 235-85R16 10 ply's all around. I was running 285-75's on it so it pulls a bit harder now with the the smaller tires. Very happy over all, I am still running the 3.54 gears front and back. I still need to get a set of dually hubs for the front end, and get two more dually wheels, then it will look like it came that way rather then a conversion. It screams conversion right now with the standard wheels on the front. I think I will stick with the white wheels since the truck is red and white. The 105 gallon tank is mounted and wired for fueling to now.

You must be registered for see images attach

DragRag

Reaction score
dragrag... does it scream on the highway with those pizza cutters?

Not with the ZF5 as Cal stated, and the 3.54 gears. If anything it is to low of RMP on the freeway. I am doing about 67mph at 2000 rpm if my speedo is correct, which I believe it is off just a touch. I am not done with my transformation so there will be more pics after I do the front hubs etc. Also getting a new headliner, and seat spiffed up on Wednesday. I need it to be a dually with the 10-12k trailers I pull regularly. i feel a bit more secure knowing I have four tires out back, plus it is more stable. With the work I do, the flat bed is a big plus for me. Sure a regular bed is more sleek, but a lot less useful for sure. I like the flat bed though myself, it's a real red neck bed, and lets face it, that's what I am.

Before pic......

You must be registered for see images attach

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the dually makes a huge difference when pulling that kind of weight....and when you can go with a 5'er or goose and load up the rear axle it makes stopping much more controlled.

as much as I am not a flatbed guy, it does look sharp, and the white wheels look really good

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
By the way that flat bed is almost identical to whats on my stepdads 94 PSD, except the PSD is a CAB&CHASSI truck

DragRag

Reaction score
By the way that flat bed is almost identical to whats on my stepdads 94 PSD, except the PSD is a CAB&CHASSI truck

The bed started life on a cab and chassis dually if I remeber correctly. A PG and E truck Cal? It is a 9' bed not an 8'. The truck dually tires come all the way to the edge of the bed exactly, no more room for wider anything. I believe the cab and chassis axle is a bit narrower if I am not mistaken. If the bed was any narrower I would have to add something on to the edges to keep the tires under it, it's that close.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The bed started life on a cab and chassis dually if I remeber correctly. A PG and E truck Cal? It is a 9' bed not an 8'. The truck dually tires come all the way to the edge of the bed exactly, no more room for wider anything. I believe the cab and chassis axle is a bit narrower if I am not mistaken. If the bed was any narrower I would have to add something on to the edges to keep the tires under it, it's that close.

I dont know a thing about cab&chassis trucks, but i have herd they had a different wheel base and the axle was narrower like you said

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure a regular bed is more sleek, but a lot less useful for sure. I like the flat bed though myself, it's a real red neck bed, and lets face it, that's what I am.
that's funny......
it took some arm twisting to get you to bite down on it.:eek:
here's the pic on what it came off of.

Attachments

• SL372653.JPG
    SL372653.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 20
  • SL372652.JPG
    SL372652.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 20

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
It looks good both ways IMO. A set of tool boxes between the rear wheels and cab will fill in that gap. A set of tow mirrors and cab kits will make it look sharp and legal.

I see your in Hollister, I know a guy that sells hay and runs a squeeze up that way.