banks sidewinder rebuild?

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so whos the guy to go to when you want yours rebuilt?

mines still in working order on my truck but i happen to check shaft play this weekend and to be seems like a lot of play so rebuild is in order.

gsfloor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either type4 his name is Russ or agnem his name is Mel or his business name conestoga diesel

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The banks turbo is some sort of hybrid Mitsubishi turbo.

I think the number says it is a TE06h. The H is the problem. Russ told me once it uses a TE07 superback rebuild kit.

Banks isn't too free with this information either.

Side to side play isn't too bad unless it is hitting the housing. Once oil pressure builds, it centers the shaft on the oil wedge created. Mine has a few thousandths side to side. In and out play is where problems begin to happen.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sad to say but Banks wont rebuild nor sell parts for their turbo rebuilds. Be careful buying rebuild kits from the internet too. Many of them are cheap after market materials that wont last. Once the fan rubs the housing you looking at lots of machining to fix it. thats going to be costly too. Russ or Mel would be my suggestions too. When I needed my Banks sidewinder wastegated turbo rebuilt it took about 6 months to find the hot side wheel and the shaft because they are the same piece of material. Something went thru my hot side turbo and made a mess of the blades. The shop told me it could be used but safer to replace it. Now if you have the part numbers you can buy direct from Mitsubishi but... They will not look up the part number for you and sell you what you need. Its a horrible way to support what you make and sell in my opinion. What I ended up doing was buying a turbo less all the other parts directly from Banks. That was costing me $1100.00 9 years ago too. so now I have a complete spare turbo and have purchsed most of all the other pieces to make a complete ready to go turbo. I like spares.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for parts being hard to find. I used Ron's turbo shop out in Utah (found on one of the ford forums before I found this site), and he had a hell of a time finding my wheel. Screw had gone through mine I'm sure due to the po's cheap replacement air filter rigging. According to him one of the banks turbos is easier than the other. In any case, I went there for the same reasons these guys recommend conestoga and Russ. Good parts (USA wherever possible), fair price, and the thing worked when I got it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any shop that rebuild turbos can do it.

There are several different turbos used on the Banks kits so it depend on which is fitted. My Gen-1 non-wastegated kit used a RotoMaster T04B35, a version of which was also made by Garrett. RotMaster is still in business in Canada and that's where I got the parts to overhaul mine. It was easy and the only thing I couldn't do was balance the assembly. A local shop did that for me. The expensive parts are the housings and wheels, A service kit for mine was under $50 in 2010.

I learned that some wiggle in the shaft is normal. Quite a bit actually. In fact, mine felt about the same before the overhaul as after (it had about 130K miles and I did it because I had the engine apart for something else). The advice I got from RotoMaster, NW Fuel Injection SVC. and a diesel technology instructor... if the wheels touch the housing, it's too much. Otherwise, play is not often a good indicator of the need for an overhaul on many types of turbos (there are some ball bearing types where it is). I was never able to get axial play numbers for my turbo but I have seen some axial play numbers listed here and there. I'll let your fingers look that up but I recall it being quite a lot of allowable play.

RotoMaster
http://www.rotomaster.com
http://www.rotomaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Catalog-Parts-Assemblies-Web.pdf

parts catalog

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
makes me feel better wiggle is ok but i sore the last time i check it maybe a year or so ago it barely had any.... im pretty sure its not hitting... tho i know its had a few glow plug tips threw the exhaust side since ive owned it. but from what i remember 3 years ago when i put the motor thats in it now the hot side looked good unless i couldnt see the damage from the outlet of it.

so what i need to look for is in and out play? such as pulling out on the turbo from the cold side since its still on the truck

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
~0.030" side to side play is normal. Axial play should be minimal.

I have a low mileage Sidewinder turbo that would be a good doner for a center section swap if you wind up wanting to do that.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
~0.030" side to side play is normal. Axial play should be minimal.

I have a low mileage Sidewinder turbo that would be a good doner for a center section swap if you wind up wanting to do that.

im pretty sure by feel i have more the.030 side to side play but i have no axial play at all that i could feel.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online