ATS Turbo Up-pipe Joint

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have new y pieces and up pipes about 20 sets.

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Mine has ZERO sealant and you CAN'T get it apart even with a 5lbs sledge hammer...

holy crap mine are loose. i have to use one hand to hold the y collector in the up pipe and my other hand to start the manifold bolts. it will just fall out under it's own weight. there is no struggle to get it into the up pipe either, just slips right in.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another option....buy replacements from Russ.....or.....OR....how about building up the outside diameter by brazing on material and then slowly remove material till it's one tight fit?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another option....buy replacements from Russ.....or.....OR....how about building up the outside diameter by brazing on material and then slowly remove material till it's one tight fit?

Russ, those 20 sets...are they 093 or what model pipes?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
093, bought surplus, will have a list of available parts up soon. and there are NO exhaust elbows, dammit.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
thanks for all the input guys. sealing this up is now the least of my worries. auto trans' can slip and when they do it sucks and it makes a certain truck owner(me) pissed off.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
when you guys put the sealant on the up pipe, do you spread it around the whole surface of the up-pipe or just leave a bead on it and then put the pipe together?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I put the sealant on the very end of it and shove the pipe up. I also seal around the collectors at the end of the exhaust manifolds as i've had leaks there in the past.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i took the truck for a test drive again today. still sounds like a nasty exhaust leak but it does seem to boost easier than before. we will see how long it lasts.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
well the thick bead of acoustiseal did not work. sounds terrible and guys at work tell me how much smoke comes out from under the truck when i start it.

i have accepted the fact that a new up-pipe is the only solution but i really don't want to take the turbo off again to take the up-pipe off. grrrrr.

i really wish there was an "easy" way to eliminate the slip fit joint and say goodbye to leaks once and for all.