ATS Turbo Up-pipe Joint

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
has any body figured out a sure fire way to get a good sea ALL the way around the up-pipe joint on the factory turbos? i got some muffler/tailpipe sealent from carquest and it works pretty good on the spots that i can reach with my finger, but i can't get anything between the pipe and the head of the engine.

i can still hear a pretty good leak coming from my exhaust.

Thanks

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Walker exhaust putty has worked very well more than a hand full of times, I am sold on it. I used another brand that us usually pretty good, Permatex, but it was of thinner consistency and didn't do as well as the Walker putty. An eight to a quarter of an inch of putty on each side and no leaks for me.;Sweet I also cleaned each surface as best I could with emery cloth and plumber's copper pipe brushes. Do you mean between the up pipes and exhaust manifold? All of the up pipes sealed rather easy for me.:dunno

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
which sealant did you use? I use a sealant meant for joints called acousitseal. Never ever had an exhaust leak at any joint.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
forgot about my own thread lol.

it is the slip fit joint where the manifold "y" collector meets the up-pipe that bolts to the turbo.

the stuff i got is carquest brand. it is kind of "thin".

the biggest issue is there is no room to get my finger between the up-pipe and engine. that still leaves about half of the joint un-sealed.

where do you get the acoustiseal?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
well i did some investigating. i am not even going to waste my time trying to seal this joint.

i can move the exhaust by hand and can see the up-pipe joint moving. the car quest stuff is no longer doing anything either. it is leaking pretty good to.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
well i did some investigating. i am not even going to waste my time trying to seal this joint.

i can move the exhaust by hand and can see the up-pipe joint moving. the car quest stuff is no longer doing anything either. it is leaking pretty good to.

That joint, i took apart and wire brushed. Applied the sealant to both ends and slipped together. Then threw the turbo onto it. No issues, no leaks at all on my hot side.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
which sealant did you use? I use a sealant meant for joints called acousitseal. Never ever had an exhaust leak at any joint.

That joint, i took apart and wire brushed. Applied the sealant to both ends and slipped together. Then threw the turbo onto it. No issues, no leaks at all on my hot side.
Ok...so gotta link to this special turbo sealing sealant that you seem to be quite pleased with? Is this some typr of silicone or what is it?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
HOLY BOOST BATMAN!

i took my pipes apart and put the sealant around the male ends then reassembled.

went for a drive. SO MUCH BETTER now. i now have ZERO exhaust leak sound. boost comes on faster and i can easily hit 7 psi. truck feels stronger with just sealing up the pipes.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
HOLY BOOST BATMAN!

i took my pipes apart and put the sealant around the male ends then reassembled.

went for a drive. SO MUCH BETTER now. i now have ZERO exhaust leak sound. boost comes on faster and i can easily hit 7 psi. truck feels stronger with just sealing up the pipes.

Isn't that a beautiful feeling?;Sweet The quietness and power gained from sealing the up pipe system is very gratifying.:peelout

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
thats where i buy mine. 35959 for 8.19

I tried buying it once from the local Advance and when i gave them the number they looked at me like i had a **** sticking out my forehead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online