ATS 093 leaky slip joint repair

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good. I haven't tried to max out my 15 PSI gauge for a while but I'm confident it would still do it. The only real problem so far is that the slip coupling galled on my when I installed the setup, so I'm not sure I'd be able to separate them now.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good. I haven't tried to max out my 15 PSI gauge for a while but I'm confident it would still do it. The only real problem so far is that the slip coupling galled on my when I installed the setup, so I'm not sure I'd be able to separate them now.
Just thinking out loud, maybe copper anti-seize for installation, then the copper flakes would survive the heat for the removal?

Any further thoughts on selling the couplers?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I did use some silver anti-seize but can't remember. I still have the CAD file so it wouldn't take much to make more. The only thing I might do differently is thicken the female side of the coupling to reduce the risk of weld distortion. Someone can always grind it down after it's welded, if clearance to the firewall is too tight.

As for selling them? I'd be willing to try, but I'm not sure what demand there is out there. If people are willing to weld these components at their own risk, it wouldn't take much to sell the parts. Another certain someone told me he was collecting pipes with the intention of refurbishing them, but I'll let him chime in if he wants.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm asking cause I'm interested! I'm tired of my leaky up pipe and I already welded a 3" outlet onto the turbo so I'm up for the challenge. I guess it would come down to cost but I can't imagine it being too crazy.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Interesting that yours is holding up.
For those of us whose welding skills are subpar, I just ended up getting idiots pipe.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that yours is holding up.
For those of us whose welding skills are subpar, I just ended up getting idiots pipe.
It wasn't hard, and I'm only self-taught.
(For the record I kept  expecting it to crack, so it was nerve-racking)
Since cast iron needs pre-heat I did what I could with the propane torch and tacked it, then hit it with little 3/4-1" beads on opposing sides like tightening wheel lugs. Kept that up till finished, never cracked. I probably wrapped it up to slow cooling but I can't remember.
Used 316L rod cause it was the best choice I already had. Plus I love welding with that rod, it's smooth and easy to see what's happening with the weld due to very low slag.

I figure if I pooch up this coupler I can still send the lower to @IDIoit as a backup plan. ;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked the max boost again today and seems to be maxing at 13 PSI. It was a hot summer day today, so that probably didn't help. I'm probably also due for a filter servicing after all the dusty roads I've been exploring over the last few months. When I first put everything together, I was able to reach 15 PSI, but conditions were a bit different.

I have the wastegate boost line disconnected, but I do not have the gate itself wired shut.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked the max boost again today and seems to be maxing at 13 PSI. It was a hot summer day today, so that probably didn't help. I'm probably also due for a filter servicing after all the dusty roads I've been exploring over the last few months. When I first put everything together, I was able to reach 15 PSI, but conditions were a bit different.

I have the wastegate boost line disconnected, but I do not have the gate itself wired shut.
I've found it pretty tough to consistently hit 15psi with my setup due to the wastegate blowing open. Ambient temps, barometric pressure, humidity, and of course gear and load all change the outcome. I did hit 15 psi the other day pulling my trailer in 3th 4th gear at 70-75mph. That's around 3k rpm for me.

Last edited:

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found it pretty tough to consistently hit 15psi with my setup due to the wastegate blowing open.
I figure the 'gate' is stopping you from achieving the 'bar'...

You have been 'barred' from the 'bar' by the 'gate...

Matter of fact...the 'Bar' has been set a little high by the 'gate....

(15 psi =1 atmosphere...=1 BAR...)

As a side note...in the past...and now into the future...if I ever scan tool anything for a driveability issue...the first Parameter I look at is BARO...because...if barometric pressure sensing is incorrect....all bets are off for metering the fuel sufficiently.

Goes back to GIGO...garbage in...garbage out...

I am a newbie when it comes to turbo-ing...but due to my last adventure with 'Ol One-Ton...I am rapidly getting interested in adding a turbo to it...

If you guys are interested in that story...let me know...because it takes a while to hammer it out...it was a white-knuckle affair and The Girl risked her neck and handled herself admirably...

Also...I am very interested in getting a used or new turbo set-up for the truck...just a starter kit to get me by until I build an engine for it.

Thanks you-all....