ATS Turbo Up-pipe Joint

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is rather simple to take the uppipes off with the turbo in place...just did it yesterday all d nuts can be taken off with a subby wrench even tho only one really needs it

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i have that factory heat shielding on mine though and it wraps around the pipe and the hot side of the turbo. i know i can get the shielding off, but getting it back on would be the hard part.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i tried another sealant today. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0073_-1_-1&pt=N0073&ppt=C0022

put a realy thick bead around the end of the y collector and reassembled. let it sit for about 2.5hrs. says to let it set for 2-4 hours. boost was better. next to nothing for exhaust leak sound. after i got back from my test drive i looked under there and sure enough it was leaking. you can see how right at the end up pipe the sealant cracks and black soot all around it.

when i took the y collector off this morning you could see that a lot of the accoustiseal that was on it was all blown out.

how would this stuff work for spraying the up pipe? if that would work then i would just do what ever it takes to get the heat shielding off of the up pipe so i can get the pipe off with out taking the turbo off.

still have a nasty exhaust leak sound out my tail pipe at idle.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I suggest...get some heat n some brass and build up some material and file it down to a nice tight fit...OR...have it spray/plasma transfer welded onto your piece...

Just sayin...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Got my new up-pipe and y-collector in the mail today. looks nice!

holy hell the up-pipe has a tight hole.:sly;Sweet

i will have to take the studs out of the old y collector and put them in the new one.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum foil of all things..... it's soft enough to work well as a gasket and deform as needed, but stands the heat. I use it to seal the v-band flange on the turbo downpipe since it leaking all the time with the exhaust brake.... just make a nice little flat doughnut and put it in then tighten down. Not sure how well it'd work with a slip joint but I bet you could get something to work out.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Shawn A

Reaction score
Y Peices and Up pipes for IDI

I have new y pieces and up pipes about 20 sets.
I know this forum is really old but I have to try my luck, Is there any way you can still get your hands on the y pieces and up pipes for the IDI turbos. I just read in another forum that is more recent from October 2015 that you possibly can still get these, can you please let me know if you can get these, I am in need of them BAD!!

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if its been mentioned... but if you want a solid seal... check this stuff out...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rutland-black-furnace-cement-10-1-3-fl-oz

Its designed for sealing up wood stoves and gluing gaskets in place. Once cured, its a ceramic seal. I dont suggest it on something you are going to want to take back apart in the near future... but it certainly did the trick with my custom turbo'd gas burner. The t-3 flange warped slightly after welding and even a thick gasket wouldnt seal it up. A nice bead of that stuff and it was leak free until I pulled the car apart 3 years later.