ATS snail seals....and intercooler pics!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats the cc of a n/a ip? i always forget the ratings of all the options.i should write 'em all down in a devoted text on my pc.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I did the old "plug one side and blow in the other side" test on the intercooler. It held the pressure from me, so I don't think it is cracked.

I wasn't thinking cracked, I was morely thinking clogged/restricted.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the NA ip is somewhere around 65? Someone else should know more then me, but I think I saw that somewhere once. Turned up they are more...of course.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I install my new inj/ junior ang glows' I am reading up on the intercooler deal.
The main reason is to keep the coolant temps down, that said,,,, somewhere I read the additional heat shed into the rad. caused issues!
Some pulled the ac( not an option) to compensate.
Still reading but how are you all dealing with the additional heat towing?
Is there a magic button somewhere I missed?
Thanx cb

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:popcorn Unlike that squirrel IDIoit, I love popcorn...;Poke

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my mission to get coolant temps down while I tow, I have completed another mod...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Placed the power stroke style bumper holes. 17 dollars at rockauto for the molding and a new sawzall blade made the new holes.

Now, I had a long talk about coolant with the guys at royal purple. I have the proper coolant water mix for my location and am thinking about adding royal purple , purple ice. Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's probably like the redline water wetter. Just have to make sure it's compatible with whatever sca is in your coolant.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is why I called the tech line. They confirmed it is compatible.

So, have you used the redline stuff? Does it do,any good?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not personally, but my buddy that used to hang around the road racing crew swears by the water wetter. Take that for what it's worth. The logic to me is sound but I'm not sure that it is necessary with the antifreeze. The point of water wetter as i understand it is to break the surface tension of the water so that it wets the metal surfaces better to conduct the heat away. Notice how a drop of water beads up on metal surfaces. In racing applications where a lot of times you can't run antifreeze because of cleanup concerns, something like that makes a ton of sense. Being ethylene glycol, antifreeze, I would think, would break the surface tension of the water but I'm not an expert on coolant properties. Just a lowly chemist.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I talked about with the tech guy. Ethylene glycol doesn't shed heat very well compared to straight water. Really bad compared to water with the additive. What this product allows you to do is run a mix of 70/30 water to antifreeze ( in arkansas where it doesn't get below 0...ever) and get the additive in a higher water ratio. I was already running about 4.5 gallons of water to 3 gallons of antifreeze in my mix. So I am hoping th additive will give me a better chance at shedding all that heat.

Thanks for talking it out with me.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iv always wanted to run 70/30 too during summer months but according to the cavitation article here,a 50/50 is required for proper sca protection running the old school coolant.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The purple ice claims on the bottle to add cavitation protection....hope it does!

On another note. I have finally towed with my intercooler installed. We sold our travel trailer last week and bought a new one with bunks in the back. We went Saturday and picked up the new one. The intercooler absolutely does what it is supposed to do.i could still burn it down if I lay it to the mat in overdrive, but I can still get plenty of power without flooring it.

In 4th gear, highest EGTs I could get pulling the 6500 pound camper was about 950.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. The antifreeze is there for boilover and freeze protection. More so the freeze protection. Anything you can do to get the heat out of the metal more efficiently is a good thing.

Could you refresh my memory... I see in your sig you did electric fans. How are they working for you and what did you use for your fans? And just to be a real pest, any info on the camper? Hoping to go shopping this fall. ;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A customer of mine had a 440 powered class a Motorhome, it ran at 200,210 always, cooling system was peerfect. Added redline and it dropped 10 degrees, and stayed. Later on a friend had a hot 66 chevelle, couldnt get redline quick, used purple ice, again 10 degrees. and these were with manual gauges not electric.

My buddy just reminded me BG super cool works good also. and they have the best flush at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online